The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Interesting image that I have found when doing a search for Rail Bass images...

+3
Barry
Sgt. Vimes
DreamRaven
7 posters

Go down

Solved An Interesting image that I have found when doing a search for Rail Bass images...

Post by DreamRaven Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:24 pm

Hey, long time no see!

An interesting Westone related project has been requested via the westone.info website, of which I will post some requests and help for in the next few days.

Part of it meant that I wanted to get some images of the Rail from other places on the net.

Whilst doing an image search, I found an image which is being displayed on the westoneguitars.net page for the Rail guitar (not bass). I thought that Barry should be made aware of it, couldn't find a suitable place to post it as I am obviously not Admin, so I have thrown it here.

Check out this page, and tell me if you see anything amiss:
http://www.westoneguitars.net/guitars/rail/

My investigations have given multple results, but I would be interested in hearing what the second image from the top of the page, under the vertical shot of the black prototype, is, for you!
DreamRaven
DreamRaven
Administrator

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: An Interesting image that I have found when doing a search for Rail Bass images...

Post by Sgt. Vimes Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Bolt On neck, no recess at the bridge......
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: An Interesting image that I have found when doing a search for Rail Bass images...

Post by DreamRaven Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:41 pm

As an image?
DreamRaven
DreamRaven
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi Keiran.
Sorry, am I missing something here? Not following this at all. scratch

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:34 pm

Barry wrote:Hi Keiran.
Sorry, am I missing something here? Not following this at all. scratch

Me too - not getting it - what are we looking for eh? or just tell us?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamRaven Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:04 am

Ok... I thought it would be obvious, but your responses suggest that it is either a short lived issue, or some bizarre local situation...

Basically, one of the images on that page was 'Not safe for work' when I looked at it.

If one was searching for a guitar image that was quite specific, and in doing so an image that you did not expect of a young lady appeared, and in checking it out you found that it was on a site that you knew, you would check out the situation. I do have a screenshot, but, as I said, it is NSFW.

If you guys are not seeing it, I guess it is not an issue! As you were!
DreamRaven
DreamRaven
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by jim Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:01 am

Mmh, I think I understand although it doesn't happen when I click links.
Some links might be to archive.westoneguitars.net instead of westoneguitars.net.
When Thorn quit hosting westone.info he had his reasons. Among them was his frustration about people stealing bandwith more and more by linking directly to specific pages in advertisements on ebay and other auction sites when selling guitars. This was done while he as webmaster and owner of the site explicitly stated on site that only links to the front homepage were allowed! In the end he became so fed up with it he decided to put up a pic of a women licking her armpit when people 'deeplinked' to embarrass them.
rail - An Interesting image that I have found when doing a search for Rail Bass images... 1314892585 rail - An Interesting image that I have found when doing a search for Rail Bass images... 1708505722
That will teach 'm!
Alas, that's my theory but it makes sense. Whenever I do a google search with the simple query 'Westone guitar' and select google images, I get to so see her as you would probably. I'm kind of used to her now, so a screenshot is not necessary.

Solved?
jim
jim

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamRaven Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:43 am

Ah! That was one of the images, but it was not always that image.

Indeed. I have Thorn's site running on westone.info, but I removed the deeplinking function and put strong watermarking on the images instead. I guess Barry left the NSFW image for westoneguitars.net and maybe added a couple extra.

I saw the image on Google, but it stayed when I clicked through, which made me think that something had gone awry. I even tried on a different machine just visiting the URL, rather than searching, and that is when I saw the different image in the same place, whilst the two others on the same page showed The Rail, as expected. Different machine, but same external IP address...

Good to know it is expected behaviour!
DreamRaven
DreamRaven
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by hoax Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:29 am

Cool! - old "Lickey Lady" makes a well overdue return. I am sure that I did a Westone search using Google images and found the hirsuit tart there as well.

Hoax
hoax
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:03 am

Check out the last pic in post #5 here for a teaser of a 6-string Rail...

http://www.rivercityamps.com/electraforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3621&hilit=rail

This is a smattering of x189's collection and if he is befuddled by exactly what it is then it must have been something of a one-off experiment. Paul is about as knowledgeable a source as there is on Mats and Electras in particular (John can back me up on that I'm sure) so it seems unlikely to me even a limited production run of a Rail guitar occurred.
Iceman
Iceman

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Solved Update: Solved(?)

Post by Barry Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:05 pm

Well kids, I think Licky Lucy of Bush Gardens Lane is no more. (fingers crossed)
I installed an anti-hot link utility on the web site today and I had a chat with our host benefactor Neil Smith.

Without getting overly technical, Licky Lucy was originally inserted by Neil to thwart outside hot linkers from unauthorized use of the archive site's images and leeching our bandwidth. (A copy of David Blair's original .info site is preserved on our server as well. See the link to it at the bottom our site.)

When I built the new site, it was (is) mostly protected from that sort of thing. However, in order to get the new site up quickly, rather than rebuild everything from scratch and duplicate and insert all the images which would have taken several additional weeks, many original images were simply linked internally to the archive site. All the new graphics and images that I created or edited for the site plus all new member contributed materials are not affected.

So, what appears to have happened is, when someone hot linked to one of those images on our web site, they were in fact linking to the old archive site and got "Ole Licky" instead. Razz What you are seeing on Google searches is a cached version of that hot link result.

Licky's been sent to the barber's, and has undergone intensive rehabilitation to curb her addiction to armpits.
Meantime, should something fall through the cracks, hot linkers will see this instead: New Image

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:25 pm

Nice one, Barry!!

... and thanks for doing it!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Solved To Oblivion

Post by jim Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:48 am

rail - An Interesting image that I have found when doing a search for Rail Bass images... Dr_evi11
jim
jim

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down