The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westone Dana Limited III

4 posters

Go down

Westone Dana Limited III Empty Westone Dana Limited III

Post by halo71 Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:47 pm

Can someone tell me a little about this model? This is only the 2nd one i've ever seen. It should be on it's way soon and would like to know more about it. Sadly on this one someone repainted the body and I am pretty sure the original finish is not underneath. It was painted a gun metal grey and under that it is blue. From what I have read on the Westone site these came in red, black or white. The neck and head stock look to be in nice shape. Although the logo has been removed from the head stock. I can't wait to get a hold of this guitar and refinish her! It's coming with just the body, neck and neck plate and control covers...nothing else. But I have a chrome original Floyd Rose waiting on her! Sorry I don't have pics of the Dana yet but I will post them when I can. Any info would be greatly appreciated! 
halo71
halo71
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Westone Dana Limited III Empty Re: Westone Dana Limited III

Post by corsair Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:59 pm

They look.. odd, really!! Smile They're Korean and not Matsumoku so probably not a lot known about 'em in here! So here's a chance to put that right when you get it - tear it down and tell us what you find, ie what the p'ups are etc. and put some pics up so we can have a look! Wink
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by halo71 Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:53 pm

So it is not a Westone guitar, but its on the Westone site?  I will take some detailed pics when it gets here because I've not really seen too many on the net. Sadly this guitar is not coming with any pick-ups, electronics or tremolo. So I will still be clueless to what they were originally. But I am cool with that because I have a OFR to drop in her and I will figure out some pick up options. I am fairly sure this model is the precursor to the Dana Scoop. Of which I almost traded one of my Kramer's for a minty red one a while back, but its trade value just wasn't on par with the Kramer the dude wanted in the deal. I want one of those one day as well!
halo71
halo71
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:54 am

It is a Westone guitar, what corsair was trying to say is that the made in Korea models aren't nearly as well documented as the made in Japan ones.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by halo71 Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:19 pm

Well, sad to say but I still have not gotten this guitar! Hasn't shipped yet to my knowledge.....but I will take pics and post here when I do get it. btw....this is not from an eBay auction or anything, no money lost. A good friend is giving it to me...
halo71
halo71
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingFirebeard Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:49 am

I've got one! Korean made, alder bodies designed by Dana Sutcliffe in the 80's and he worked closely with St. Louis Music (ala Westone, Crate, ect) to make the guitars. They came with an active OD system in them which mine still had until I took it out in favor of an EMG 85. Damn nice guitars for the price but Dana really came into his own with the Alvarez Dana Scoops, but these came first. I like both of them really. Feel free to ask me, and I'll do my best to answer honestly.

Look anything like this one?
Westone Dana Limited III Westone
VikingFirebeard
VikingFirebeard
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://samzasylum.freehostia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halo71 Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:52 pm

Yep, looks just like that one! I am actually getting this guitar for free from a goof friend on another forum. Sad thing is the original owner refinished the original paint and even sanded the logo and all off the head stock. All I am getting is the body, neck and neck plate. All the electronics are gone as well as the OFR. But that is okay, I have several pick-ups laying around to choose from. As well as a chrome OFR to slap in. Might have to get a tone pot but that's about all I think. I was thinking about sanding it down to bare wood and doing a tung oil finish, but not sure until I get it. I did talk to him the other night and he hasn't gotten around to shipping it yet, but says he will this week. So hopefully by this time next week I will have it. Then it will be yet another project guitar to put back together......working on getting a Floyd Rose Discovery and a Kramer Focus back in playing condition now. Also have another Kramer Focus3000 coming this week. Really wanting to score a Pantera model Westone though.Oh yeah I know a dude with a pretty nice Dana Scoop he is wanting to get rid of. I came REAL close to trading one of my old Kramers for it last month and backed out. If you are interested let me know.So....what is the neck on yours like....profile? Is it solid Alder....1 or 2 piece? I am not sure what kind of humbucker I will put in it yet. Got any suggestions other than an EMG?
halo71
halo71
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by VikingFirebeard Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:48 am

With all honesty I'm just going by what the catalog says as far as body wood, other than that I don't know. The neck profile is thin, not too thin but enough to be fast. It's even thinner than my Dana Scoop's neck, which I higly recommend considering that one they're awesome guitars. I went through and pulled out all the electronics on mine and stuffed the EMG in there and it serves it's purpose but I'd say whatever your favorite guitar player uses or something similar would be great. I'm more of a Seymour Duncan guy, something with tons of gain so I can't say what you might like or dislike. I had grand plans of refinishing mine in the "Goth" movement in the late 90's Gibson unleashed on the world and I didn't want to mess with chemicals so I sanded through the paint and into the primer on this one and just said forget it. Thats why mine looks like hell.
VikingFirebeard
VikingFirebeard
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://samzasylum.freehostia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halo71 Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:38 am

I'll have to experiment with some pups I guess. Depending on body wood to me kinda dictates what pups sound better in a guitar. I have a Super Distortion I may throw in there to see what it sounds like. Also have a few other DiMarzio's I can try out. THanks for the info.!
halo71
halo71
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down