The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reproducing headstock logos

3 posters

Go down

Reproducing headstock logos Empty Reproducing headstock logos

Post by jim Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:09 pm

pics of a Westone Sticker I bought through Ebay. Measures aprox.
12x8 cm. enabled me to make a good Scanned image @ 300ppi. Saved losless as .png

I later touched up the logo with Gimp for it to become more crispy.
The color in the sticker scan is yellow on black. In the touched up logo I changed the yellow to gold and
the third version is Black on white which I softened using 2% Gausian blur to get rid of ragged edges.

If anybody would want to make a decal transfer, the black on white one would probably be
a good quality high-resolution scalable image to go with.
For the right size you would have to scale it down to the right fit!
It should be easy to create an .esp file from these files.
Unfortunately I cannot do it from here since I don't have the appropriate software installed to do the conversion. But even if I could have I think this format couldn't be hosted here either.

There's a nice do-it-yourself method explained when using transparency film water slides for decals here:
www.projectguitar.com/tut/logo.htm Haven't tried it myself but it's a good illustrated read.

BTW I read somewhere - on here? - that you can get a very nice sharp result when you take your image to a sign shop where they can (laser?) cut it out on thin film which is then easily applied to the headstock.
I think it sounds like a nice alternative! (a sign shop is also a good place for trc-cover replacements)

Anyway, here's the 3 files (clickable thumbnails, will open in new window, but only when logged in):

Sticker scan: Touched up: Black on White:
Reproducing headstock logos Weston12Reproducing headstock logos Logofr15Reproducing headstock logos Logofr16
I remember member Sarcaster edited a different logo. If, when you Sarc. are willing to post it in this thread, keep in mind if you saved the pic as a 'losless' .png and want to upload it with imgserve, that when it asks you to resize the image, in this case you should select 'No'. Otherwise it will be automatically converted to a .jpg ! Happened to me a few times. Otherwise it works and file sizes are relatively small on these.

Any other additions, other logos, welcomed. Some may do a better job than me and I might have missed pixels.

jim

Last edited by jim on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:12 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : To see full resolution one must be logged in I found, so adjusted comment on that.)
jim
jim

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Reproducing headstock logos Empty Re: Reproducing headstock logos

Post by Guest Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:51 pm

Those look as good as the ones I have used for the same logo on the 390 headstock. I'll look for the image i used on the 350 headstock and see if I can upload similarly.

I also got a good Pantera body logo from Silence that I will try to upload as well.

If we get enough of them, this might be a good Sticky post.

Good job eh.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:06 pm

That tutorial makes the decal making process look almost possible for someone like me!!

Good post, Jim - keep 'em coming!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:25 pm

corsair wrote:That tutorial makes the decal making process look almost possible for someone like me!!

Good post, Jim - keep 'em coming!

Skip the coloring in manually, and just and the color on the computer. Might take a couple of tries to get it right, but basically, print your logo on logo paper (with color or just black..etc). Spray with a few coats of clear (I use at least 5 goooood coats).

Let it dry well or it will run when you soak the decal. I let it dry overnight since I am so patient Smile

Cut it, wet it per the paper instructions, apply it, get the bubbles out, and all is well.

Spray you clear a bit heavier around the logo when spraying the guitar so when you do the final sanding you can get smooth edges.

If worried about it, print a few copies, and try it on some scrap pine or other scrap wood to get the feel for it.

It works
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:33 pm

thanks for the info on this guys, its something that stopped me refinishing headstocks, I might just pluck up the courage now!
cheers Big Thumbs Up
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:09 pm

Sgt. Vimes wrote:thanks for the info on this guys, its something that stopped me refinishing headstocks, I might just pluck up the courage now!
cheers Reproducing headstock logos 413889333

It's really not too hard - if ya need to do one, and nee help , let me know eh
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jim Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:04 pm

TVill25 wrote:Does anybody have a picture handy of the all block
lettering that says Pantera Westone??? There's a good picture on the
http://www.westone.info/x790.html sight? Is that allowed??

Oh no, this Pantera font is yet another... and there are Concords with other fonts...
Another weird font... (why did they use so many Crying or Very sad)

I've searched through many font library's many times many hours to see if I could find the fonts Westone used and never stumbled upon even one! And I don't know how he did it but the good news is, thanks to our friends at Matsumoku.org member 'Bloodaxe' from it's forum, identified that 'Westone' font (some tweaking involved) as: BenguiatGothicStd-MediumObl !
It is also the font used on the 390 headstock Sarcaster talks about.

Bloodaxe says: The third one (with the graduated logo) is BenguiatGothicStd-MediumObl but it's sneakily all upper case:

Reproducing headstock logos Westone_02_zpsdd324566

And he is helping out with others too!
Bloodaxe says: The
classic' Westone logo is 'Crillee' but it's been tweaked about, here it
is untweaked & another Q&D rendition:

Reproducing headstock logos Westone_01_zpsc672a334
Crillee hoorah!
Very friendly blokes over there helping us out with these logos over here!
Reproducing headstock logos 1247806006 Reproducing headstock logos 979471947
In a meantime you can read Bloodaxes post about it here at our sistersite I'm not sure deeplinking to the topic would work though, so In case it doesn't: Go to the forum at http://www.matsumoku.org then 'Vantage' then 'VANTAGE stickers' thread.

The what we usually call 'Script' logo has not been indentified yet and might not exist as such. But I send a scan of it from a catalog I have to Bloodaxe who kindly offered his service to look at it in order to make a vector PDF from it when possible.
How nice is that!
To be continued...
jim
jim

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2008-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down