The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westone Corsair New Pickups

4 posters

Go down

Corsair - Westone Corsair New Pickups Empty Westone Corsair New Pickups

Post by Westonekid1990 Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi i recently bought a new DiMarzio ToneZone pu and im having a bit of trouble.. The stock pickup came out easy but there is only 1 issue! I have no idea how the pickup is wired.. Does anyone have any schematics or any idea what the different colors are? Its has the same pickups as the westone Corsair XA1430 but thats not the same model i have (i have never been able to figure out the model i have. Here is a picture of the pickup and how it was wired into the guitar.. i am assuming the white wire is hot but it was soldered with the ground onto the volume pots.. then the red and black were twisted together and soldered to the double throw switch.. then the blue was on the other end of the double throw switch. The humbucker was coil tapped.
Corsair - Westone Corsair New Pickups Img_0310
Westonekid1990
Westonekid1990
Registered Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-08-30

Back to top Go down

Corsair - Westone Corsair New Pickups Empty Re: Westone Corsair New Pickups

Post by Barry Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:13 pm

affraid

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8685
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:25 am

wow! psycho-delic looking pickup pic there booboo! cyclops

the corsair setup you describe sounds like the stock setup.
the switch is a 3 position switch; center off, up is humbucker, down is single coil.

you can wire the Dimarzio in the same way. check your documentation to identify the leads or check the Dimarzio website for additional info on your particular pickup. dimarzio instructions

and how about some pics of your guitar too, maybe somebody here can figure out what model it is...
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Westonekid1990 Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:31 pm

So i figured it out! i had to figure out what the leads on the stock pickup were equivalent to the ones on the new DiMarzio.. got them! As for the picture i have NO idea why it went all psycho! the original wasn't like that! Ill post some pictures of it and see if you can guess what it is!

Here they are!

Corsair - Westone Corsair New Pickups Dsc_0110

Corsair - Westone Corsair New Pickups Dsc_0111

Corsair - Westone Corsair New Pickups Dsc_0112

Corsair - Westone Corsair New Pickups Dsc_0113
Westonekid1990
Westonekid1990
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:29 am

Nice guitar, Kid. Why do you not think that is an xa1430?

Other than the reversed headstock it pretty much looks like one.
Iceman
Iceman

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:16 am

i think what we have here is another case of 'specifications subject to change without notice'
it is a tough call on these models. i think the details were quite fluid as the designs evolved, the catalogs were only snapshots of an ongoing process.

the closest thing in a catalog is the Corsair GT WE7400, but there is no mention of a purple finish. the picture shows a red one with the transparent finish and the flamey maple look to the top. the Corsair GT has 24 frets, which your guitar has, but the picture in the catalog shows a Kahler trem and a larger cutout, and yours has a Bendmaster Deluxe and a small cutout... maybe one of the earlier versions before they changed to Kahler trems.

the XA1430 offered a burgundy pearl finish, no mention of a transparent finish. it has a 22 fret neck, Bendmaster Deluxe.

i have a very similar guitar as you have here, but mine has a 22 fret neck with reverse headstock. same purple finish over flamey maple as yours, with creme binding, Bendmaster Deluxe and small cutout.
there is no pearlyness to the finish on mine front or back. (i'll do some pics later as it is on the bench, getting repaired and cleaned up at this time)

so it seems like both yours and mine are different steps in between the catalog pics
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Good catch Mike, I neglected to count the frets. Embarassed

Other than that and the reversed headstock though it is an xa1430 given its hardware and switching functions. I think that the color is just a one-off from the SLM Custom Shop as in a past post I seem to remember the Corsairs built here in the USA had more variants than those assembled at Saehan.
Iceman
Iceman

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:48 pm

here are a couple 'before' shots out in the bright sun where the purple shows up well...
i found this one on ebay a little while back. i sent the seller a lowball offer and it was accepted right quick. it is about as filthy as any guitar i have ever seen, but most all everything is present and functional. i have the knobs and the bridge off so i can clean it and get it setup properly.
Corsair - Westone Corsair New Pickups Ry%3D400
i had to pull out the electronics to repair some connections. one of the pots was gunked up so badly it wouldn't rotate, but i got that cleaned out and working smoothly now. repaired a couple broken joints on the pickup switches, but now they are back in place and function like original. this one has the mid-shape circuit and all original pickups. the Bendmaster Deluxe is mostly there, missing a couple fine tuner screws and, as typical, the whammy bar and the pieces that it screws into. the previous owner had a small block behind the trem in the cavity.
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westonekid1990 Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:01 am

Thats really neat man! the only other issue i ran into is the fact that the original humbucker mound had 2 screw holes on 1 side and 1 on the other and the new dimarzio had 1 on both sides so i had to drill a small hole out of the bracket! not too hard but i had to be careful not to crack it!
Westonekid1990
Westonekid1990
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down