The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie With a Question About Necks...

+6
Westbone
Barry
bowenjaybee
Iceman
corsair
Snake Arms
10 posters

Go down

Newbie With a Question About Necks... Empty Newbie With a Question About Necks...

Post by Snake Arms Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:58 pm

Hey, guys. I'm new here (I like to state the obvious) but I've lurked here for a bit before. It's a really cool forum and I've learnt quite a lot from old threads. So, thanks for that, first of all! Very Happy

I do come to you with a question, though. I picked up a Thunder 1-A about two years ago, kind of on a whim because it looked cool and it was a great price. Once I got it in my hands, however, I was blown away by it. It's a real quality guitar and I play it a lot. So, I've been on the look-out for more Westone guitars ever since.

Lately, I've been thinking of trying to pick up a Concord III. Again, I just think they look awesome, but I've also been hankering for something with single coils and the Concord seems to fit the bill.

So my question is this... Could any of you guys with more experience than me maybe say a few words about the necks on the Concords and maybe compare them to the necks on the Thunders? If I pick one up, it'll probably be online and I like to know what I'm getting. I like the neck on my Thunder, but I'd prefer it if it had a more rounded shape and the fretboard was a little less wide.

Thanks in advance for any help, guys. Smile
Snake Arms

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

Newbie With a Question About Necks... Empty Re: Newbie With a Question About Necks...

Post by corsair Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Welcome here, snake... I can't help you with the Concord/Thunder neck comparison but would just like to say that Matsumoku necks in general, and Westone in particular, are amongst the best necks you'll find out there, though none that I've played have had thick necks.....

Always nice to see a lurker come and join in, eh!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Newbie With a Question About Necks... Empty Re: Newbie With a Question About Necks...

Post by Iceman Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Welcome as well, Snake. While I do not play well at all I am blessed with a wife who can and she absolutely loves both of my Concord I's. 2 SC's instead of 3 but the necks are identical.

You should very much enjoy one as well if you like that Thunder of yours. If you have ever played a Fender Jag you should then have a general idea of what you are in for, except a Concord profile is not as thin widthwise across the fretboard and a bit flatter in it's backside radius.

Think of Angel Hair as opposed to Vermicelli and you have a rough lay of the land.

Get some pics up of that I-A when you get a chance. We love to look!! Twisted Evil
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by bowenjaybee Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:02 am

Hi and welcome Snake..I gotta say if you get the chance grab a Concord II or III you won't be disappointed with the neck, they are very close in feel and shape to modern Fender Tele/Strat necks (apart from the headstock of course). I have a maple Concord II neck on a Fender Strat body, they work very well together...Link

Hard to compare Thunder and Concord necks, both great necks but different ...........Thunder think Gibson, Concord think Fender.
bowenjaybee

Number of posts : 560
Registration date : 2010-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi Snake, welcome to the nut house! geek
It's already been said about Westone necks, that they're about the best around, at least IMHO they are.
I have several Spectrums, and a Thunder and a Concord, and honestly, it's like choosing a favourite child. They're all outstanding!

Neck feel is such a subjective thing, it's almost folly to try and describe it. It really must be experienced. But generally speaking, if you are a big fat neck (baseball bat style) fan you will likely find these small and whimpy. I love 'em 'cuz they remind me of my '64 Gibson. That's what sold me on Spectrum in the first place.

The only current production neck I know of that echoes the Spec neck is Ernie Ball Music Man. They're magnificent, but, you gots ta pay four figures to get 'em!

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8689
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:46 pm

Concord I = 24" scale. Concord II, III = 25 1/2"
Thunder I, II = 24 3/4" Thunder III 25 1/2"
Spectrum = 25 1/2"
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:26 pm

just looking at two guitars this is what i see....

these two guitars i am looking at, a thunder I and a concord II, use the same bridge setup; brass bridge and saddles with string-thru to a bar on the backside of the body.

Concord II:
one piece maple neck with skunk stripe, flat headstock, truss adjustment at top
brass nut 1 5/8"
maple fretboard, don't know the radius but lightly rounded like a strat
25 1/2" scale, 21 frets
string spacing at bridge 2 1/8"
the back of the neck has a fuller rounded feel to it

Thunder I:
3 piece maple neck, tilted headstock, truss adjustment at top
brass nut 1 5/8"
rosewood fretboard, flatter radius than the concord
24 3/4 scale, 22 frets
string spacing at bridge 2 1/8"
the back of the neck has a thinner less rounded, but not flat, back to it.

Last edited by gittarasaurus on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add detail)
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Arms Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks a lot for all the advice and the welcomes, guys. Smile

From the sounds of things, I think I might like the Concord's neck. I don't usually mind whether a neck is fat or skinny, as long as it's proportional, if that makes sense. I don't like fat necks with tight string spacing and I don't like skinny necks with wide string spacing. Like I said, the neck on my Thunder is pretty comfortable, but it does tend to edge a little too far into the wide-thin camp to truly fit my hand perfectly. The Concord kinda sounds like it'll be more my thing. I'm definitely going to try to find one.

Thanks again.

And and for Iceman, here's some awful, blurry pictures of my 1-A...

Newbie With a Question About Necks... Westonebody

Newbie With a Question About Necks... Westoneheadstock

Newbie With a Question About Necks... Westonefullfrontal

She's a scruffy one and she's definitely seen better days, but she's one hell of a rocker. Evil or Very Mad
Snake Arms

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:34 pm

Looks pretty clean in comparison to some. Smile
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Westbone wrote:Looks pretty clean in comparison to some. Smile

+1 Abso-fruitly!! Whenever it gets too embarrassing to pull out in public you know where to contact me... Twisted Evil
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:25 pm

You playing left handed now Suspect
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:30 pm

Westbone wrote:You playing left handed now Suspect

It sure won't hurt to try... What a Face
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:35 am

Could try playing with your teeth as well, as long as they're not false What a Face
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by light01 Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:25 pm

What an informative thread! Learned a lot from all your suggestions and recommendations.

Thank you for sharing Smile
light01
light01
Registered Member

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by G.A.S. man Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi Snake.. I have a spectrum dx , Thunder 1t, Concord 1 & Concord 11t..
The Spectrum has a u shaped fender type neck..
The thunder has a very flat back c shaped neck..
The Concords are more d shaped an closer to the thunder but not as flat on the back.

Love my 2 Concords an spectrum for the way they feel an play..
The thunder feels nice too but not to keen on the way it sounds..
Very mid & bright high end sounding.. Imho..
G.A.S. man
G.A.S. man

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:11 pm

High end? the Concord is way higher than a Thunder. Almost shrill in comparison.

What amp you using?
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:35 pm

it doesnt matter what amp he's using, that Thunder 1t is very brittle sounding, I had it through a bunch of different amps (fender twin, trace elliot Tramp etc) and it was bright and shouty through all of 'em, nice guitar tho
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by G.A.S. man Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:22 am

Think it's the construction of the Guitar an not the guitar itself !!!!

Amp wise it's been through 2 Laneys..
A LC 15R & VC 15R..
The LC is a darker amp than the VC ...
But the mids an highs just cuts right through on both amps...

The 1T is Solid maple with 3 piece maple neck an rosewood board, where as the 1 is Laminated Ash, Maple and Walnut with a 3 piece maple neck an rosewood board....
That's why i'm thinking the construction might be the reason behind it...

The pick ups are the same mmk45's that are fitted to my Aria Urchin and spectrum dx..
In these they sound very full an very nice but in the 1t there very harsh..
Will check the wiring when i can but it all seems stock..

The Concords ( 1 & 2t) can sound brittle an spikey but that's the single coils an construction of them i think.
They use ceramic magnets an are low powered which does give you a lot of treble an not much else in the bridge position but sound ok in the other two positions..

That's what i have found with my 1t, it is a very nice an well put together guitar..
It's just didn't sound the way i thought it would do...
G.A.S. man
G.A.S. man

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:57 am

That's the red trem one. Ah, ha.

That explains it a little better.

I was thinking of a normal ash type Thunder, far from toppy.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by G.A.S. man Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:07 pm

No the ash ones are sweet as a nut...
The 1t is nice but more of a punk in ya face toned..
Which can be fine too but ...
G.A.S. man
G.A.S. man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down