The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Locking nut bolts

4 posters

Go down

locking - Locking nut bolts Empty Locking nut bolts

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:56 pm

I stripped the thread on one today, looking for a replacement set as the other two are close to being stripped too.
I've had a look around as to who makes the best, what sizes are available etc mine are as follows:
thread length = 8mm
overall length = 11mm
thread diameter = about 4mm........too shorn to get an accurate reading on my steel rule.

are these a standard size?
who makes the toughest bolts?
cheers
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

locking - Locking nut bolts Empty Re: Locking nut bolts

Post by corsair Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:12 pm

What actually stripped? Normally the base gives way.... Shocked
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:22 pm

it was the allen bolt, I checked the base with the other bolts and all is well there
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:01 pm

Yep, 4mm and if this is for a Bendmaster, then get a slightly longer bolt for the E/A lock plate as these are suspect anyway. Just whip along to your local fastener stockist and grab some...
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:52 am

thanks. any particular metal I should be looking for or are they all steel?
It isnt for a Bendmaster, just a floyd rose but it was the E/A bolt that stripped.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:06 am

This link will get you to one online vendor Sarge to give you an idea of what you are looking for...

http://www.fastener-express.com/m4-x-7-x-8mm-socket-head-cap-screw-stainless-steel-qty-20.aspx

At to what length to go with I usually will pick up a 25 piece pack of them that are all oversized in length and then use a pedestal grinder to bring them down to the proper lengths depending on which of the 3 I am replacing.

Any Stainless steel composition is good. If you want black ones rather than shiney ask for those made of A2 which is a very durable grade of machine steel.
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:11 am

Thats magic Ice, Thanks. M4........all I needed to know.....my google skills arent up to scratch evidently!
these are for the Washburn rs10v in my other non westone post, such a lovely guitar to play, apart from that damn floyd rose, the sodding thing will not return back to its position, my hand is forever resting on the fine tuners and popping it out of tune, only for it to stay there! infuriating to say the least! short of putting a block in, is there anything to know regarding how to help it get back into position?
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:21 pm

FR setup is difficult. Maybe check these 2 things: - is the floyd perfectly parallel to the body - when you dive/lower the pitch with the FR, if the guitar plays out of tune after that, try pulling up or doing a few bends; everything might go back into place (sounds pretty logical but you never know).

You might want to add an extra spring. Also, check the blades on the FR, the ones that make contact with the screw posts, to see if there are not worn.
beavis
beavis

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:41 pm

I dont currently have a wammy bar on the FR so dont dive, my old habits of resting my hand on the bridge is doing the damage here, after I realize ive done it, its either sharp or flat, so I will give it a nudge either way, only for it to go to the other extreme.

it is perfectly parallel to the body with all 5 strings attatched, havent had a look at the blade yet, seems logical that it could be worn, is it possible to have these points ground back to their original state? or is it a new bridge deal?
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by beavis Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:58 am

Sgt. Vimes wrote:I dont currently have a wammy bar on the FR so dont dive, my old habits of resting my hand on the bridge is doing the damage here, after I realize ive done it, its either sharp or flat, so I will give it a nudge either way, only for it to go to the other extreme.

it is perfectly parallel to the body with all 5 strings attatched, havent had a look at the blade yet, seems logical that it could be worn, is it possible to have these points ground back to their original state? or is it a new bridge deal?

Do you mean you are using 5 springs? If so, try with 2. The risk with FRs is that the previous owner adjusted the height without slackening the strings. That causes the blades to grind against the posts, which is not good. I have read things about some magical spray and other stuff, but honestly, I don't have a clue what to do once the damage is done.
But try with less springs, or a bigger gauge. The problem might just be insufficient string tension to maintain the balance.

Last edited by beavis on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
beavis
beavis

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2011-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:29 pm

Righto I will try that when I get a chance, thanks.
right now I'm trying to work out why my battery is heating up in the Condor strat effects circuit! grr... confused
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down