The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dynasty on CL

+3
Iceman
hobster
EvilVOG
7 posters

Go down

Dynasty - Dynasty on CL Empty Dynasty on CL

Post by EvilVOG Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:03 am

On local CL, bit of a ways away from me... ad says it's a right hand converted to a left hand and comes with the case... CL ad
EvilVOG
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-11-14

Back to top Go down

Dynasty - Dynasty on CL Empty Re: Dynasty on CL

Post by hobster Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:03 pm

Wow $120, i'd jump on that real quick. At least worth checking out.
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by EvilVOG Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:26 pm

I thought about it, but i would only be buying it to re-sell, probably to someone on here. And it's a bit of a hike from here, not real far but a good drive and i wouldn't want to end up stuck with it. Plus i've been thinking about getting an Acoustic bass for a while now, and just now have the money together.

He's put a photo up. Looks nice, i think the pups have been replaced by what looks to be EMG select's. I did Email the guy to see more photos.

I guess i am still thinking about it... was thinking about going out that way later this week....
EvilVOG
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by EvilVOG Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:41 pm

got some pics of it, the humbuckers are indeed EMG Select's. Headstock reads Electra, and then something else, possibly Westone under it, i can't quite make it out. Case looks good, if it's not the original, it at least fits like it is.
EvilVOG
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:57 pm

I still say get that axe!!
Headstock look like this one?

Dynasty - Dynasty on CL Pics032
hobster
hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by EvilVOG Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:36 pm

Yeah it's like that, i did my research after i wrote that. It's blue, which makes me think it's been repainted, has a couple extra buttons or something, and i think it's a legit lefty, or someone's moved the knobs and everything to convert it. I sent an e-mail asking about all that, we'll see what he says.

Still debating grabbing it, but 1, i don't play guitar i play bass. 2. It's lefty, and 3. it would only be for me to turn around and re-sell for a profit

So it's a gamble for me to drive way out there and spend money on something that i may get stuck with cause no one wants a lefty...
EvilVOG
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:55 am

Did you get a picture of the serial number on the back of the headstock, EV?

If it begins with a 3 or 4 it will be correct to the Electra / Westone change over years. Blue was never a stock color from the factory so unless it is a Custon from SLM it was repainted.

Can you put up the pics you got? We could tell you more if you could about the possible conversion or not.

Here is a link to the 1984 Hot Stuff catalog which shows the 2 earliest examples of that model...

http://www.rivercityamps.com/electrapage/index.php?entry=entry080216-052428
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:37 am

if you do go for it, I would suggest you remove those EMG Selects, one of the worst pickups I've ever owned, and I've had some rotters.
EMG didnt make them, just outsourced them to a Korean company.
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by EvilVOG Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:14 pm

got e-mailed back with answers to my q's... it Was right handed, and someone moved the controls to the other side in the lefty conversion "rather crudely" says the current owner. And it was probably at that point it was repainted blue, owner said that the finish isn't bad for a repaint.

After researching some more i'm fairly sure the case is original, it doesn't say anything on the outside tho.

Serial is 4050998

looks to have been wired to a 5-way, and i think the extra buttons are the push pulls.

Here are the pics. If you think i can make money off of it i'll go for it, I can use the money. But again i don't even play guitar, i play bass... owning it only ties up my bass money...

[img]Dynasty - Dynasty on CL Dynasty1[/img]

[img]Dynasty - Dynasty on CL Dynasty2[/img]

[img]Dynasty - Dynasty on CL Dynasty3[/img]
EvilVOG
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:57 pm

Original case, necks been sanded, obviously a post factory convert to left handed-ness, and a very early model without the cool pointy fangs on the bottom. Get it and replace the pickups! Heck, just that case is worth money, the last Dynasty case sold for a good little amount on Ebay.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:59 pm

Case is original, too bad there aren't better pics of the body. I guess its a wee bit risky, i'm not so sure i'd do it. Gonna have to refinish the neck and who knows how the body looks. It would be worth it for a super fun project but otherwise its probably worth about how much he wants. I paid that much for mine at a pawn shop a couple of years and its near mint, but i guess that doesn't happen too often. And yes, EMG selects are pure crap.
hobster
hobster

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Yup, an XV3GR it is. That is the rarer of the 2 styles and was originally (GR)aphite in color. If it was also a lefty from the factory it would add to the rarity but possibly lessen it's appeal as well, or at least lessen the pool of players interested it.

If you did pull and restock with original pups you'll be needing a pair of MMK 45's to turn the trick. Not certain that it will be worth the effort and $$'s strictly speaking if all you hope to do is look to flip it for a profit. The case looks to be in decent shape however but I don't know if it will fit the other body style properly or not. Most likely I'm sure it would.

My thoughts are not really ever tuned to that buy & sell wavelength anyway when considering these guitars.
Iceman
Iceman

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:48 pm

I think I'd pass on this one.
Too much chopping and carving has been done for my liking. And God only knows what's been done to the body and the original control cavity. The resonance/sustain/tonal qualities will undoubtedly have been impacted from the original design parameters.
Trying to restore it will be like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube. Bloody shame.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8695
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EvilVOG Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:08 pm

yeah i don't think there's enough profit in it even if i chop it and sell it as parts.

I'm not usually a buy and flip person, but i have no real job at the moment. Other than taking care of my nephews on the weekdays for my sister while she finishes her Master's for whatever she can pay me, the occasional car fixing jobs i can rustle and some weekend office network wiring jobs. So whatever opportunity i can find to make some extra money, i'm taking it.
EvilVOG
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by drsyn67 Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:29 pm

I love these guitars but would pass on it, if I were you. I'm afraid you'd break even, if that.
drsyn67
drsyn67

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2012-02-08

http://www.markcountscreative.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down