The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this just Hogswaggle?

+6
westcoaster
PDS
dustymiller
Iceman
Westbone
chaypup
10 posters

Go down

Is this just Hogswaggle? Empty Is this just Hogswaggle?

Post by chaypup Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:55 am

Is this guyu telling anything like the truth? Where do you get this specific info from?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260991424506&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123#ht_500wt_945
chaypup
chaypup

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-10-20

Back to top Go down

Is this just Hogswaggle? Empty Re: Is this just Hogswaggle?

Post by Westbone Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:18 pm

Do not think so some how.

Have a look at this.
http://forum.westoneguitars.net/t3108-is-this-correct
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:34 pm

Westbone wrote:Do not think so some how.

Have a look at this.
http://forum.westoneguitars.net/t3108-is-this-correct

Sensationalizing where it needn't be. The guitar speaks for itself without all the hoopla.

Stupid git... Evil or Very Mad
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by chaypup Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:18 am

Well, as he is a man who obviously has intimate knowlege of Westone production I've invited him to join the forum and share his wisdom! Very Happy
chaypup
chaypup

Back to top Go down

Post by dustymiller Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:40 am

And I guess this is the super rare Bass Version (sorry cant add a link as I am a newbie but search gumtree UK for "Westone Bass" and you will find it in Edinburgh) Hello everyone... New here but have a 1983 Thunder 1a Bass Wink
dustymiller
dustymiller
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2012-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by chaypup Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:21 am

Well I had this reply from him:

Hi back in the 70's and 80's I was involved with both importing and selling to large music shops and one of the factories I imported from was the Matsumoko Factory in japan along with many others and the serial numbers are quite simple for most of the matsumoku made instruments and it is generaly a 10 year roll over for the first two digits (with the exception of those proceded by letters) however when I was over in Japan in the mid 70's I was told that Westone originaly wanted to follow the old Singer Sewing Machine serial numbers but had to cow tail to Aria/matsumuko and setled for acepting the first 2 digits as year of manufacture and the rest were production Line/model and number produced however there were some true prototype models that were produced some of which did not even have serials the also produced (matsumoku) some prototypes for companies such as KAY!!! yes they made a small run of double cutaway thru-neck models of bass and electric guitars and as I am sure you know there has been much discussion on these guitars both here on ebay and also on the matsumoku site. the thru neck Kay was produced on the same production line as the KAY as when I returned in 1983 they gave us (several buyers/importers) a tour of the factory and there were about 20 of these guitars ready to go (nope I never got a look in the Kay importer had them all assigned to him. as far as the 1AR they were all originaly bought by Music Ground in London/Leeds/Doncaster and he "Rick Harrison" sold half in the UK and took the other half to his USA shop so I know just how rare these arewe are talking the GOLD Bird Logo as I am sure you know the red is sold with a WHITE bird Logo these were special as they were made show at the various Trade shows in the UK

- irishkaraoke

Hmmmm
chaypup
chaypup

Back to top Go down

Post by PDS Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:19 am

Hmmmm indeed

Now, it's a long time ago the early 80's and i remember Music Ground well, especially in Doncaster Yorkshire and with good reason. I've mentioned before that my dad used to sell Westone guitars back in the 80's through his shop and where i used to work on saturdays / as a student for a bit of extra cash. His shop was, and still is until he closes to retire tomorrow, in Doncaster Yorkshire. As i remember it Smedleys and not music ground were the only local westone dealers.

Music ground used to deal in high end and vintage gear - many vintage fenders and the like, not really the same sort of market as westones at the time which were a step up on basic beginners type instruments. that's not to say of course, if there was something rare on offer that they might have dealt in it ouside of the usual supply routes. I can't say that the bloke is telling fibs, just that his story doesn't quite ring true

Incidentally, the Rick Harrison referred to has recently been found guilty of dealing in stolen guitars!

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/trail-of-stolen-guitars-led-to-leeds-1-4289238
PDS
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2011-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by westcoaster Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:41 am

Obviously a stranger to the concept of punctuation. Don't think I saw a full stop in that.
westcoaster
westcoaster

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:35 am

Yes remember that Harrison story. Also something to do with making 'new' amps and passing them off as golden oldies, allegedly.

Gold logo or not that Thunder Ia is still not at all rare.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt. Vimes Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:19 am

you know, ive seen plenty of the gold bird on red thunders, NEVER a white one! jus sayin
Sgt. Vimes
Sgt. Vimes
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 3322
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by PDS Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:28 pm

Just thought i'd bump this one given some of the recent postings. Always nice to get another view of a "super rare" guitar and "Kenn Gordons" garden.

I don't mind people trying to make a bit buying and selling on ebay..... if only they didn't have to rsort to stories about the wife making them have a clear out etc. After all that x390 did go for far less than i expected on ebay
PDS
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2011-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by midhilis Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm not that bothered about the price, just that I sold it to a tóin who can pogue mahone if he think s he's getting any more of my guitars...

(That's one way round rude word filters, type in Irish)
midhilis
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:20 pm

midhilis wrote:...I sold it to a tóin who can pogue mahone if he think s he's getting any more of my guitars...
(That's one way round rude word filters, type in Irish)
"Irish" doesn't show up as an option our Google Translate widget. Sheesh. Crying or Very sad

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8689
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gittarasaurus Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:16 pm

being of irish background i have wondered about what happened to the irish language ...
then i found this book
Is this just Hogswaggle? Slang
"How the Irish Invented Slang is one swell (sóúil, joyful, happy, grand) snazzy (snasach, pron. snasah, polished, stylish, classy) doozer (duasóir, prize-winner) of a book!

In How the Irish Invented Slang: the Secret Language of the Crossroads, Daniel Cassidy, former co-director of the Irish Studies program at New College of California and late co-founder of the Crossroads Irish-American Festival, cuts through two hundred years of Anglo-American academic "baloney" and reveals the massive, hidden influence of the Irish language on American vernacular and slang. Irish-derived words and phrases – like snazzy, swell, dude, scam, slum, say "uncle", sucker, knickknack, twerp, nincompoop, moolah, racketeer, rookie, ballyhoo, dork, freak, hoodoo, Dead Rabbit, and jazz – are scattered across the American language, in the same way Irish-Americans have been scattered across the crossroads of North America for four hundred years."

so many words that derive from irish, you would never imagine. it is a fun book to read for sure.

gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1498
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum