The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thunder iii vs Epiphone Les Paul Standard?

+5
Iceman
DuoFuzz
corsair
gittarasaurus
michaelcharliechester
9 posters

Go down

thunder - Thunder iii vs Epiphone Les Paul Standard? Empty Thunder iii vs Epiphone Les Paul Standard?

Post by michaelcharliechester Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:08 pm

I have the chance to buy a mint condition Westone Thunder iii Guitar (1983 MODEL). I want to play pub gigs etc. Is it good enough to gig with? Would an Epiphone Les Paul Standard be a safer buy?
michaelcharliechester
Registered Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-07-31

Back to top Go down

thunder - Thunder iii vs Epiphone Les Paul Standard? Empty re: THUNDER III VS EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD?

Post by gittarasaurus Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:48 pm

michaelcharliechester wrote:I have the chance to buy a mint condition Westone Thunder iii Guitar (1983 MODEL). I want to play pub gigs etc. Is it good enough to gig with? Would an Epiphone Les Paul Standard be a safer buy?

this is a site for westone lovers.

i doubt there will be any disagreement here that the westone thunder III will absolutely blow away any epiphone guitar.

i think anyone who tries both a westone and an epiphone will agree, not just westone enthusiasts. the westone is far more versatile and wide ranging in the sounds you can get. the feel and playability is very different between the two, so that becomes a matter of personal preference. the westone is very much gig-worthy. i played a thunderIIA thru 6 years of gigs and it never let me down.

if you don't buy it, or if you do and don't like it, i know there will be a long line of people here that would gladly take it off your hands.
gittarasaurus
gittarasaurus
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1500
Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

thunder - Thunder iii vs Epiphone Les Paul Standard? Empty Re: Thunder iii vs Epiphone Les Paul Standard?

Post by corsair Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:54 pm

Which model; the series I, II or III??

http://www.westoneguitars.net/guitars/thunder/thunder-iii/

Any of these will be a better guitar than a Chinese-made Epi LP - these are thru-neck, brass finished powerful guitars - I gigged the Vantage version of this - the VA900 - for 25 years with no back-up; they are very good indeed.

And as g-saurus said, this is a Westone site; what sort of answer did you think you were going to get?!?! Cool Laughing
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

thunder - Thunder iii vs Epiphone Les Paul Standard? Empty Re: Thunder iii vs Epiphone Les Paul Standard?

Post by DuoFuzz Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:49 pm

Just chiming in with the rest here, as much as I like Epiphone's (and they're not bad at all, I own four!), a Thunder III is going to blow the Epi away in terms of construction and tones. They were top of the range and classed as a pro level guitar, I couldn't honestly say the same about an Epi LP?

As long as the Thunder III hasn't been buggered about with to much (has the headstock snapped off before!), you should grab it while you can. Epi Les Paul's flood the second hand market while the T III models are few and far between these days, just check eBay.

I seriously doubt you would regret owning one, as long as it's in good condition. Cool

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:04 pm

If indeed it is truly mint condition IMHO you already have your answer right then and there. As stated earlier Epi's, while very good examples exist and very not so good examples exist as well, are a dime a dozen as far as availability is concerned.

Get that Thunder. If it does not meet...... nay, exceed any and all of your expectations the Epi will still be quite easily found.

And I will be quite easily found here as well quite willing to relieve you of that T III burden you will have.

The thing is I am VERY confident you may find yourself wanting to be buried with that axe, so a sale again may prove to be not impossible, but standing just to the right of impossible.

...oh, and if not me then another willing buyer is not going to be difficult to track down here, either.

Please stop back to post pics after the sale.
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-23

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Apples and oranges really.

Also, LP is short scale and I think Thunder III is long scale.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:16 pm

If your playing in pubs, it wont be mint for long unless you treat it with kid gloves. Smile
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

thunder - Thunder iii vs Epiphone Les Paul Standard? Empty Just bee to see the Thunder and....

Post by michaelcharliechester Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:37 am

Just been to have a look at the guitar and it turns out its a Thunder 1-A, all knobs and switches and bits to play with. It is in absolutely fantastic condition, a family friend was given it as a birthday present as a kid and never played it. One tiny little dent/scratch on by the bottom horn but hardly noticable apart from that and the goldware showing a bit of tarnish it is in absolutely mint condition.
I had a play with it and as you all suggested it is quite something - loud! Feels lovely and lots of different tones to be had.

I have taken your advice and bought it but I have cancelled my gym membership as it weighs more than anything I ever pick up there!

I will post some pictures in a couple of days and let you know how I get on with it.

Many thanks for your input guys.
michaelcharliechester
Registered Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:12 am

I would not buy an Epi or a Gibson for gigging unless I got an incredible deal. While they may sound good, play good or look good, the fact is...they break....a lot. Gibsons have the worst designed neck/headstocks out of the major brands. Just do a search fo electric guitars on ebay and filter by 'For parts or not working' and see the ratio of broken gibsons and epihones to any other brand. It is enlightening.

So for playing in your room where it is nice and safe it goes to personal preference. For gigging where the unknown occurs nightly...I would stay away from the one piece mahogany necks with that headstock angle - a poor design that gibson should have learned/improved upon decades ago.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:19 pm

michaelcharliechester wrote:Just been to have a look at the guitar and it turns out its a Thunder 1-A...
Excellent! You will love it!

I have cancelled my gym membership as it weighs more than anything I ever pick up there!
lol! Too true!

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8701
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Good to hear you chose the Westie! The Thunder 1-A has an active circuit to boost the signal, I'm sure you're finding that out now. This will help you out during gigs, if you need to boost signal for a solo or cut through the mix for some reason. Cool

Like Iceman said, post your pics!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down