The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanted: Wiring schematic for Phoenix X650 AND ADVICE

+3
corsair
Westbone
dustburn
7 posters

Go down

Wanted: Wiring schematic for Phoenix X650 AND ADVICE Empty Wanted: Wiring schematic for Phoenix X650 AND ADVICE

Post by dustburn Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:38 am

First of all, I was recently given this bass, and today I spent 4 hours on it just cleaning it up and re-touching up all the solder joints. This bass has made in Japan stamped on the neck plate and is S/N#4020772. Instead of ELECTRA PHOENIX on the headstock it simply says ELECTRA WESTONE with the phoenix symbol in the middle of the words. So, it's different than any of the pictures I have seen thus far while searching, which after spending an hour, I can't seem to find anything wiring or parts wise.
-The lower dual pickup doesn't seem to work as my D and G strings are barely audible when the 3-way toggle is in the up position.
-The lowest 3rd knob does nothing, which I believe the pot is bad, but I'm not sure what that controls. From top to bottom I'm guessing the dials control dual pickups, bridge pickup, tone?
-I don't know what the toggle switch does to the right of the top knob. I also assume the 3-way toggle on the upper left of the arm is for dual pickups{UP}, both dual and bridge pickups{MIDDLE}, and bridge pickups{DOWN} in that order.
-I am also curious what pickups this uses, and where I could buy replacement back plates. Yes, even the top little one is gone.
Any help would be appreciated because this looks like my only hope and I love the sound of this puppy. Thanks for your time.
dustburn
Registered Member

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-06-25

Back to top Go down

Wanted: Wiring schematic for Phoenix X650 AND ADVICE Empty Re: Wanted: Wiring schematic for Phoenix X650 AND ADVICE

Post by Westbone Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:50 am

Stick some pictures up, It'll give us a better idea.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Wanted: Wiring schematic for Phoenix X650 AND ADVICE Empty Re: Wanted: Wiring schematic for Phoenix X650 AND ADVICE

Post by dustburn Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:22 am

I just took them! It'll be a moment. :]
dustburn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:04 am

From memory, the Phoenix X650 is the same - more or less - as the Spectrum GT Bass....
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by dustburn Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:32 am

I'm not really sure how to post pictures. Here goes this method. This will give you a good idea. I have a cruddy camera. Let me know if you need more detailed photos or whatever.
Wanted: Wiring schematic for Phoenix X650 AND ADVICE BW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDYyNTIwMTEwMjA5NDYuanBn
Wanted: Wiring schematic for Phoenix X650 AND ADVICE BW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDYyNTIwMTEwMjEwNDIuanBn
Wanted: Wiring schematic for Phoenix X650 AND ADVICE BW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDYyNTIwMTEwMjA4MzYuanBn
Wanted: Wiring schematic for Phoenix X650 AND ADVICE BW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDYyNTIwMTEwMjA3MDYuanBn
Wanted: Wiring schematic for Phoenix X650 AND ADVICE BW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDYyNTIwMTEwMjA2MzAuanBn
Wanted: Wiring schematic for Phoenix X650 AND ADVICE BW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDYyNTIwMTEwMjA1NDUuanBn
Wanted: Wiring schematic for Phoenix X650 AND ADVICE BW1jMS9EQ0lNLzEwMExHRENGL0ltYWdlMDYyNTIwMTEwMjA1MDguanBn

Last edited by dustburn on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
dustburn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:36 am

The easiest way is to upload them to an online photo sever like Photobucket, and then c+p the .img links into your posts here.
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by dustburn Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:47 am

Thanks! Yeah, I ended up using photobucket after trying to use facebook. Much easier.
dustburn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dustburn Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:53 am

Another question: When I took the dual pickups out to clean them, the 2 magnets on each of them were loose, so I glued them back on. Does the polarity of these magnets matter for them to function? If so, I might have reversed any of them. I glued them back on on the side it was glued to before, but I'm referring to vertical positioning.
dustburn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dustburn Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:05 am

corsair wrote:From memory, the Phoenix X650 is the same - more or less - as the Spectrum GT Bass....
I took a look at the diagram, and you may be right. So, the three knobs represent Volume, Tone 1 and Tone 2? If so, what is the difference between the two tones? Was I wrong to assume the top two were volume pots for the upper and lower pickups?
dustburn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:53 am

Tone 1, neck pickup.
tone 2 bridge.
The little switch is a phase reverse for the neck p/up
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by dustburn Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:55 am

Okay, I'm still learning and doing research. Looks like those magnets most definitely need to be in the right position. Now I just have to find out what mfg. of pickups these are. This is essentially a 3 single-coil pickup guitar. So, the 2 neck pickups aren't a humbucker if I'm correct. They are only staggered because of the powerful tone the high strings produce.
SO, whew... now to try and find which mfg. these pickups are, and how they are polarized/wired to see if I botched gluing them back on.
I'm rather liking learning all of this.
dustburn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dustburn Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:56 am

Westbone wrote:Tone 1, neck pickup.
tone 2 bridge.
The little switch is a phase reverse for the neck p/up
Ahh, something else I have to go look up. Phase reverse? Clueless.
dustburn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dustburn Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:01 am

Okay, looked that up. The PR switch would only be used when my P/U switch is in the middle (Neck and Bridge active) position, yes? Genius.
dustburn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:02 am

The neck pickup is 1 p/up, just that it looks like 2 but works as 1.
Just like a Precision bass.
Tha magnets from each part will be a different polarity.

That's it only in the middle position or neck only.
All depends how it's wired, there are numerous ways.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:12 am

Test that each pickup is ok to start with. Ohm meter is needed.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by dustburn Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:21 am

Thank you for your advice!
I have an ohm meter, am I just testing for continuity?
dustburn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dustburn Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:32 am

They were using Magnaflux pickups! Now to track down the wiring chart.
dustburn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dustburn Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:40 am

Well, I've looked for almost 5 hours. I've learned a lot, but there is nothing out there to help me with my specific polarity question. I'm going to sleep. Feel free to drop some knowledge on me if you have it. Thanks.
dustburn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:12 am

Magnaflux p'ups were peculiar to Matsumoku and it's brands - Westone, Aria Pro, Vantage and Electra with some Epiphone, Washburn, Lyle and others in there from time to time - so nothing else has 'em!!

Does that help?! Laughing What were the continuity readings? I can't help with the polarity thing, sorry - hope that gets sorted out!!

Now, my Spectrum GT Bass.... the black one in this shot...

Wanted: Wiring schematic for Phoenix X650 AND ADVICE Westone3

... has phase reverse which is activated by a pull pot on the volume pot, from memory..
corsair

Back to top Go down

Wanted: Wiring schematic for Phoenix X650 AND ADVICE Empty This thread is crosslinked to the Electra forum now...

Post by Iceman Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:56 am

Hello Dustburn,

A forum member (Jead) over at the Electra site has or has had your bass. Not a lot of info on your example over there so I crosslinked this thread there as well....

http://www.rivercityamps.com/electraforum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5702

If you would like to join there as well send the admin an email requesting such. They keep the registration function off (unless requested) to discourage spambots and the like. You may find some other members as well who can chime in with their thoughts.

Good luck with the project.
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by dustburn Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:27 am

Thanks a lot for the info, guys. I'll head over to that site now.
dustburn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dustburn Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:31 am

Thanks for the cross post! Looks as if repairing it is a lost cause. I'm going to take the advice and just pick up a set of replacement pickups.
So, this leaves one question: Where can I get replacement back plates?
dustburn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:46 pm

Hey Mr. Corsair your GT bass looks exactley like mine! Laughing Laughing I'm not sure if you recall but i had a thread about my humbucker not working, so i finally removed it to look a little deeper. What happened to yours? I hear they heave a tendency to go bad. Great guitars also my man. Very Happy
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:27 pm

hobster wrote: Corsair your GT bass looks exactly like mine! Laughing Laughing What happened to yours?

It's in it's case. in a shipping container in Dunedin, New Zealand. Sad

I hear they heave a tendency to go bad.

Mine was OK when it went in storage....

Great guitars also my man. Very Happy

Yep... they are!! Tone monsters... Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:57 am

Hello dustburn, you might also want to read this page on the WestoneGuitars web site.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8689
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Wow Barry, i know i've said it before but that site is the sh*t! I've checked my humbucker in my GT bass and it reads 6.5 or so, very weak. I think i'll need a replacement and, well, there ya go. All mapped out for me. Thanks again for your time on this, you truly are a gentleman and a scholar. Like Ice said:

Barry= the man

nuff said Very Happy
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Thanks. Happy to see it's being well received and used!

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8689
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:22 pm

The magnet polarity will be the same for all of them. So find the relative polarity of the ones not disturbed by holding a magnet over them - either attracts or repels. The ones you glued back should be the same. Bet you can find a magnet to do it in less than 5 hours!
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by grogg Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:27 pm

Strike that, I hadnt read the full thread, still valid for working out relative magnetic polarities tho.
grogg
grogg
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 1094
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:31 pm

If you've glued the same side down, back on the pup, it won't make any difference.
There's no east or west.
Happy day's.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down