The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the elusive nut lock

+2
corsair
LamontGrady
6 posters

Go down

the elusive nut lock Empty the elusive nut lock

Post by LamontGrady Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:30 pm

Check out my new girl!!! I scored this Westone Dimension IV a couple days ago locally. I haven't really played it or set it up yet. The locking nut thing is missing. That makes two Westones I have that need this part, so I'm gonna buy the fr, kahler, carvin, whatever. Both are Bendmaster FT.

Any advice appreciated on how to get a locking situation back. I'm pretty good at working on guitars and will make it work if it's reasonable and high quality. My blue Spectrum SX has everything intact so I have an example to look at. My red "Concord" SX (same small fretboard dots as the blue spectrum sx) is missing it too, but it has the fr bar thing, which actually does help quite a bit.

So now that I have two guitars that need this, I'm gonna figure out the best solution and will make it happen. Help! I will post pics and details of however I solve this problem.

the elusive nut lock Large

the elusive nut lock Original
LamontGrady
Registered Member

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-09-18

Back to top Go down

the elusive nut lock Empty Re: the elusive nut lock

Post by corsair Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:06 am

Join the queue, my friend; there are a few of us looking for the stringlocks, eh!! Laughing However, if you can't find the "proper" OEM one, then look for a Kahler "behind the nut" stringlock, at least for the Bendmaster Deluxe bridge. I'm not sure if the Kahler will fit the Bendmaster FT quite so easily, though as the stringlock for the FT seems to sit so much higher, as it is further up the headstock, at least on my Spectrum LX it is, anyway!!

Nice collection there; I like Spectrums!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:01 pm

corsair wrote:Join the queue, my friend; there are a few of us looking for the stringlocks, eh!! Laughing However, if you can't find the "proper" OEM one, then look for a Kahler "behind the nut" stringlock, at least for the Bendmaster Deluxe bridge. I'm not sure if the Kahler will fit the Bendmaster FT quite so easily, though as the stringlock for the FT seems to sit so much higher, as it is further up the headstock, at least on my Spectrum LX it is, anyway!!

If you need to raise the level of the string lock to match the nut, then just shim it on the back. New Kahler string locks come with shims, but you can easily make some out of paper, plastic, etc.

The Kahler behind-the-nut will work on any of these guitars that have a regular nut.
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:06 pm

colt933 wrote:
corsair wrote:Join the queue, my friend; there are a few of us looking for the stringlocks, eh!! Laughing However, if you can't find the "proper" OEM one, then look for a Kahler "behind the nut" stringlock, at least for the Bendmaster Deluxe bridge. I'm not sure if the Kahler will fit the Bendmaster FT quite so easily, though as the stringlock for the FT seems to sit so much higher, as it is further up the headstock, at least on my Spectrum LX it is, anyway!!

If you need to raise the level of the string lock to match the nut, then just shim it on the back. New Kahler string locks come with shims, but you can easily make some out of paper, plastic, etc.

The Kahler behind-the-nut will work on any of these guitars that have a regular nut.

The FT lock sits about 3/16ths of an inch higher; needs more than paper shims....
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by LamontGrady Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:13 pm

I ordered a 2120 from Stew Mac.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolo_parts/Floyd_Rose_tremolos_and_parts/Locking_Nut_Sets.html

I think I'm gonna have to make some kind of wedge to put under it. Luckily my blue Spectrum SX has the right one all intact so I have something to look at.

I leveled crowned polished the frets and cleaned the amazingly gunky fretboard w/ naptha and oiled it, and took apart and thoroughly cleaned the amazing layer of funk that was permeating the bridge.

Just took it for a spin around the block for the first time and it's pretty sweet! The fretboard is pretty wide. It's actually in pretty good shape, the bridge is all ok, the frets had minimal wear, the neck is really clean even though the body has it's share of dings, the tip of the head stock is in great shape, priceless original knobs and pups, tuners are a smidge loose but work great, nut needs no attention, got the action low and intonation accurate very easily, electronics work great!

I just need the dang string lock so it should have the awesome tuning stability of my blue Spectrum SX! I LOVE the Bendmaster FT!

a few more pics
http://www.pbase.com/fhludlow/dimiv
more pics
LamontGrady
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:24 am

So, you're going to take the nut off and replace it with the FR?
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:54 am

corsair wrote:So, you're going to take the nut off and replace it with the FR?

This might work behind the nut but maybe not. It's really a locking nut, not a behind the nut string lock and is not correct for your guitar. You might make it work behind the existing nut. Or...you could possibly remove the nut from your guitar and put the Floyd style 'shelf' in its place and then attach this nut. Do not look for a drop-in fit.
colt933
colt933

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:55 am

corsair wrote:
colt933 wrote:

The FT lock sits about 3/16ths of an inch higher; needs more than paper shims....

That is a big difference, but not an insurmountable distance. I bet pick guard material would work. Or several layers of some plastic card stock or brass shim stock.
colt933
colt933

Back to top Go down

Post by LamontGrady Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:49 pm

I couldn't discern any real difference between the products they sell as string lock and locking nut?

As long as I can get the height up with some kind of wedge under it, should be cool. My correct ft string lock on my spectrum sx is not angled, and the ones I ordered are angled, so the shim part is going to have to be kind of wedge shaped.

I'll measure it and take some pics. I'll probably start w/ wood just since it will be easiest to shape.

I don't think it's possible to put a real locking nut situation on these - the truss rod adjuster is in the way.
LamontGrady
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:16 pm

LamontGrady wrote:I couldn't discern any real difference between the products they sell as string lock and locking nut?

As long as I can get the height up with some kind of wedge under it, should be cool. My correct ft string lock on my spectrum sx is not angled, and the ones I ordered are angled, so the shim part is going to have to be kind of wedge shaped.

I'll measure it and take some pics. I'll probably start w/ wood just since it will be easiest to shape.

I don't think it's possible to put a real locking nut situation on these - the truss rod adjuster is in the way.

The main difference is that in the locking nut, it has a sharp angle for the strings to break over. This is the nut. I'm not saying it won't work.

Good luck to you!
colt933
colt933

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:30 pm

Love this thread title.

"the elusive nut lock"

Sounds like a hard to master wrestling move. Wow, that would REALLY hurt.

Laughing

The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:14 pm

The Chad wrote:Love this thread title.

"the elusive nut lock"

Sounds like a hard to master wrestling move. Wow, that would REALLY hurt.

Laughing

Sheesh!!! I cannot believe you went there.

You should be spending your time more profitably... say in getting one of those pics of that Atak down to avatar size...... hmmmmm?? Wink
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:47 pm

Ah yes, the elusive nut lock. Used to happen all the time back in High School. What a Face
But...I...digress...

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8685
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down