The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.

+5
norfolkngood
Westbone
IanO
Frenchy
The Chad
9 posters

Go down

Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   Empty Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.

Post by The Chad Mon May 23, 2011 1:44 pm

I'm very eager to recieve my new guitar, some pea green Quest Atak 2 of an unknown sort from Ebay.

For some reason, I've never been as excited about a guitar as this one. Razz What a Face Just because I've never seen another one, so very unique. Reminds me of a Dean Bel Aire shape, but it's different enough that it has a design of it's own. This guitar has more personality than most.

Here's the pics from the listing:

Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   Questa10
Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   Questa11
Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   Questa12
Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   Questa13

Hopefully I can get it to sound as good as it looks. The colors remind me of those 1970's plastic food containers that my Mom had around the house when I was a kid. Same exact colors. Laughing

I know it's an Atak 2, but it's not any of the ones in the Quest catalog on the Mat site. I don't know if it's an Uncle Mat or not, haven't seen any hard evidence. Has anyone ever seen one of these Atak 2's with binding and a black neck like this one has?! Real curious to find its story, any info appreciated. I'll post good pics once it arrives. Can't wait. cheers
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   Empty Re: Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:09 pm

Hello Chad,

I might be able to help you identify the model of your new guitar. I owned a Quest Atak bass a while ago and managed to purchase a full brochure! It's still lurking about somewhere so I'll see if I can find it. The same brochure is featured on the Mat forums, I know this because I couldn't find out much info when I bought the bass! I recall having to plough through loads of different topics on the Mat site before I came up with anything though. I think there might be a few photos of my bass in here somewhere, if not, there are definitely some in the Mat forums.
I'll let you know if I manage to come up with any more info.

Polly
:queen: :flower:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   Empty Re: Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.

Post by The Chad Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:43 am

Thanks Polly! I've seen the Quest catalog that's on the Mat site, although some closer/clearer images of the Atak 2's would be great to see!

I really like the guitar. It's got active pickups, which I've never used before, so quite a different sound. Very Happy It sounds really good though once you adjust the amount of active gain, play with the tone knob, and select the right pickup combination. I can get some really nice clean sounds from it too, surprisingly. And the neck has a really, really good feel.

And you're right, not a lot of info out there on these things!!! They seem pretty rare, I'd love to find the real background story on these things.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Frenchy Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:17 pm

Hey Chad!

Love the guitar... If you ever want to get rid of it, let me know. I'll buy it off you...

P. 👽
Frenchy
Frenchy

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by IanO Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:34 pm

I luuurrrrvveee this guitar. It looks to be in fantastic condition. Everyone knows the green ones are better! Just ask a Kawasaki owner
IanO
IanO

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2011-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:03 pm

I remember seeing that on evilbay u.s. and was drawn towards it.
Unlike any other Quest that shape, it has binding and a rosewood board.
That is a nice score, probably top of the range with actives.
Like the shape. Very nice indeedy. ❤
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   Empty Quest Atak 2 close ups... a lot of photos

Post by The Chad Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:08 pm

Thanks for the comments, the green with yellow binding, black neck, and crazy shape made fall it love with her immediately! ❤ It is a wild guitar, bursting with personality.

And yes, it does remind you of Kawasaki green!!!

Just last night I took the pickups out to photo them, so that was a good time to align bridge saddles (they were crooked), and wow, the sustain is seriously improved. It resonates very well now, and sounds amazing! I'll post pics on here, some good closeups. It's in really good condition, a few marks on the back but that's about it. No case though, and finding a Quest Atak case isn't exaclty easy. Laughing

From what we can tell, it is 100% stock!!! Cool Behind the trem block was slightly routed out for more room, but the bridge matches the other Atak2's on the internet and in the catalog. Here's a bunch of closeups for you all, and for history's sake. I like a lot of photos, so get ready...

Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2128
Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2113

This next pic is where the saddles were crooked, all straightened out now however.

Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2112

Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2130
Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2129
Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2127
Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   CloseUpBinding
Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2103

Here's where it was routed out a little. I'm thinking it was for more trem movement room, for dive bombs and such.

Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2105

A pic "under the hood" as we say here in the States...

Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2107

This next photo with the gray wire is the knob that connects only to the active circuit.

Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2108

Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2106
Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2109
Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2110

Head, pickups, binding.

Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   QuestAtak2green4
Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2115
Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2120
Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2122
Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2123
Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2125
Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   100_2126

So there it is, has a fantastic neck and I'm really liking it. I thank God for this rare find, never seen another like it. The third knob seems to activate or deactivate the active cicuit. Doesn't work without the battery, however. Is this how the Thunder Active's are? I know very little of active pickups. Any info is welcome! Very Happy
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:49 pm

Polly!!

You're back :queen: :queen: :queen:

Where've you been, the lads have been getting mischievous :joker:
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:52 pm

Whoops, forgot where I was! On the Atak, odd shape, funny colour (Kermit --- we bought you a geeetar!) but I like it What a Face
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:39 pm

Man Chad.... the shape multiplied by the color scheme get me thinking about the B-52's, Thomas Dolby, Devo and the Fine Young Cannibals all pureed up and poured into some kind of Jello mold from 1971.

Not literally of course, but still......

Zowie!!! cyclops cyclops
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:00 pm

That's a sweet find Chad, nice one!

I've got the remains a Quest Atak 5 which still (Rolling Eyes) needs rebuilding, I posted ages ago over on the Mats forum, HERE.

The pickups on my Quest are open coils but the back plates are identical to yours. The pickup circuit on your guitar looks similar to the Westone setup - passive pickups with an active gain/EQ boost circuit.

Just my thoughts but it looks like the sort of factory custom they would make for trade shows, either that or it's a revised model, even a prototype maybe? Whatever it is, don't let go of it mate, looks like a keeper to me!

P.S. Nearly every Quest Atak guitar I've ever saw seems to have the same D4xxxxx (April '84) pre-fix to the serial number, strange? Suspect

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:59 pm

Ice, you're right on with your analysis! I thought the same thing, pretty much.

DuoFuzz, great insight into this thing, thanks. Your Atak 5 looks like it would be killer! And quite a lot of work, which is great bonding time. Laughing I had been wondering if it was similar to the Thunder actives, so apparently it is. I took detailed pics of the circuit, I'll upload them later. That April '84 thing is very strange. How does the D4 indicate April?

Well I gigged my green monster just this past Saturday, and she did very well. She's got her new NEON PINK DR strings on her and all. What a Face Yep, not kidding. The other band said it was my watermelon guitar. Laughing By the way, the colored strings don't sound as good as uncoated. We had a great time. Pic below. She sounded amazing even with the coated strings!

Quest Atak 2 something or other, mystery model.   IMG00410

The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:43 pm

The Chad wrote:...How does the D4 indicate April?...
Scroll down the Home page to the "How old is my guitar?" section

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8697
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:33 am

Hi Chad,

The pink strings are just awesome, now you've got to get a matching guitar strap for it! Cool

The main difference between your guitar and Westone's active setup is that yours doesn't have the on/off switch to bypass the circuit. I'm guessing you have to turn the active control to zero to bypass it, or pull the battery if you want to completely cut out the circuit!

I did a Google image search for "Quest Atak guitar" this morning and got an interesting result. It's a poor picture of a black Atak 5 with red custom binding - link. It looks like Quest might have started making custom bound versions of their models at some point, your guitar could be from that same range?

Sadly, other than the catalog scan over on matsumoku.org, there seems to be little or no info on Quest guitars or their history.

DAN.
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:18 am

I seem to recall some early Washburns had a B&R (Black and Red) series like that. If memory serves there's a post or two at the Mats Forum.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8697
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:32 am

That is a gorgeous guitar. Thumbs up to the body shape and colors! Glad she sounds as good as she looks.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down