The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westone Thunder - Welcome Your Advice

+2
Iceman
PDS
6 posters

Go down

thunder - Westone Thunder - Welcome Your Advice Empty Westone Thunder - Welcome Your Advice

Post by PDS Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:19 pm

Evening All
I'm on a bit of a trip down memory lane here. Used to work in a music shop back in th 80's and remember selling Westone Thunders to many happy people - nice to see some of those people are still happy! anyway, suprisingly i never bothered to pick one up myself not being a guitar player at the time. Now i've seen the light (curently playing a michael kelly patriot) but want to find out what i've been missing out on with the westones. Have seen many thunders on uk ebay over the past couple of weeks but mostly bass not 6-string. Is this typical or am i just being impatient?

I'm not after a particular model or finish just something in reasonable for age condition without being "enhanced" by a previous owner. Typically what's the going rate for such a thing? Seems like a good bass goes for about the £100 mark would the 6 string be similar.

Finally if anyone has one to offer in the yorkshire / humber / nottinghamshire area - let me know!

Thanks in advance
PDS
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2011-04-10

Back to top Go down

thunder - Westone Thunder - Welcome Your Advice Empty Re: Westone Thunder - Welcome Your Advice

Post by Iceman Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:54 pm

As far as expected price I found this auction listing from April 1st.....

http://www.cuttlestones.co.uk/sale_catalogue.php?sale=QS010411&s=0&c=300&f=516&np=26

Can you abide some shipping pain to get one? I do see them on an sometimes monthly basis here in the states.

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/msg/2283301510.html

Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

thunder - Westone Thunder - Welcome Your Advice Empty oh my oh my oh my

Post by PDS Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:40 pm

Thanks Iceman

I'd seen a white T1A on ebay but thought the price a little punchy at £200 / $300 but it was local and didn't sell. Contacted the seller and arranged to try it out with a view to cash on collection and following a little negotiation am now a member of the westone owners club (and avoided any postage charges). Probaly paid slightly over the going rate but the guitar itself but is in superb condition. Full working order with no more than a couple of the slightest of dings and surface scuffing conistent with being considerately played and only visible if looked for under the right light and that's being really picky.

Plays like a dream. Low action and superb tonal range. Doesn't beat my michael kelly for tone but that's solid mahogony/ebony fingerboard/emg pups but for playability...... wow. Defo a keeper
PDS
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

thunder - Westone Thunder - Welcome Your Advice Empty Re: Westone Thunder - Welcome Your Advice

Post by Iceman Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Good for you! cheers

Please let's get us an eyeful of your new baby. What a Face What a Face
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:58 pm

Your a lucky chappy PDS, what you don't know is, I made the seller (Michael) an offer after the auction too, that may have been a little higher than yours & could have stolen your Thunder, unfortunately, as I couldn't pick it up, the seller said it would save him packing & posting to go with you Sad

I believe the guitar is mint, as the Westone logo on the p/ups show, the logo doesn't last too long if the guitar has had much use. As it is, The guitar is 1986 & I think you have something a little special there, as will be seen when you post your pics, I doubt anyone here will have seen a Thunder 1A with those p/ups.

Welcome cheers & enjoy Very Happy
fish
fish

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2010-12-16

http://www.fisherrestoration.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by norfolkngood Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:45 pm

Now you've got one, all you need is a varnished wood Thunder to keep it company.

Then a Spectrum to discover the most playable neck on an affordable guitar. Maybe a Concord next to see if they're any good...

A flirtation with the 80s could see you looking for a Dimension. Headbands and lycra optional What a Face

Ultimately your life will not be complete without a Session, a Rainbow or the Holy Grail of a Prestige 250.

Welcome to our addiction study
norfolkngood

Number of posts : 421
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:34 am

norfolkngood wrote:

....Maybe a Concord next to see if they're any good...

....or the Holy Grail of a Prestige 250

Concordes ARE good... and here I was thinking the x350ma was the Holy Grail... Rolling Eyes

....oh and don't forget the leg warmers and wristbands too. Razz Razz
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by PDS Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:25 am

fish wrote:Your a lucky chappy PDS, what you don't know is, I made the seller (Michael) an offer after the auction too, that may have been a little higher than yours & could have stolen your Thunder, unfortunately, as I couldn't pick it up, the seller said it would save him packing & posting to go with you Sad

I believe the guitar is mint, as the Westone logo on the p/ups show, the logo doesn't last too long if the guitar has had much use. As it is, The guitar is 1986 & I think you have something a little special there, as will be seen when you post your pics, I doubt anyone here will have seen a Thunder 1A with those p/ups.

Welcome cheers & enjoy Very Happy

Sorry Fish, just the luck of the draw with one coming up locally I guess - I'll try and post a few pics but me an IT don't go together that well....

PDS
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by PDS Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:01 am

thunder - Westone Thunder - Welcome Your Advice Dad001
thunder - Westone Thunder - Welcome Your Advice Dad003
thunder - Westone Thunder - Welcome Your Advice Dad004
thunder - Westone Thunder - Welcome Your Advice Dad002
thunder - Westone Thunder - Welcome Your Advice Dad006
thunder - Westone Thunder - Welcome Your Advice Dad005
PDS
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:41 pm

WOW-WEE! What a Face cyclops What a Face

Wonderfully clean and simple lines. Very elegant. A laurel, and hardy handshake to you sir!
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:11 pm

ooooh... nice!!! Smile
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:48 am

Very nice indeedy Smile
Just out of interest any markings on the bottom of the pickups.
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by PDS Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys - nice to know i've picked something up that meets with the real enthusiasts approval! Now the Westone info site is back up, it's easy to compare with the models on there and everything is consistent with the version 5 photos posted. given the largest mark on the guitar is the ding on the head I pictured it looks like i've been lucky enough to pick up a near mint example Very Happy

Westbone - no markings on the pickups other than the westone logos as pictured unless you meant if they were removed? Whilst i enjoy taking things apart, i don't have the geatest record in getting them back together again, so i'm afraid that will have to remain a mystery.
PDS
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:17 pm

Well seeing has you have one of these, why would you behold this mystery.
Only 4 corner screws and a peep underneath.
It's called contributing. Twisted Evil
It's not rocket science. Smile
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

thunder - Westone Thunder - Welcome Your Advice Empty Westone Thunder - Welcome Your Advice

Post by fish Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:56 pm

PDS wrote:

Sorry Fish, just the luck of the draw with one coming up locally I guess - I'll try and post a few pics but me an IT don't go together that well....

That's right PDS, its luck of the draw, you certainly scored there, it looks a cracker, like Westbone I'd like to know what number the p/ups are,
that info isn't on the W/info site :!: :?:

I guess ya can't win em all, I think my wife would have been pleased you won it, had she had known, the only way she gets to know what
I've bought is when I ask her to look out for the Postman Suspect As was, to get over my disappointment & bought myself something nice to look
at, unless like Ice Cool I start taking lessons Very Happy

I'll post some pics in a few days. bounce Very Happy
fish
fish

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2010-12-16

http://www.fisherrestoration.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:57 pm

fish wrote:

...to get over my disappointment & bought myself something nice to look
at....

I'll post some pics in a few days. bounce Very Happy

Recharging the GAS card, eh?? Razz Yeah Razz

Hope you did as well as PDS, he has raised the bar abit with this love-erly! cyclops
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by PDS Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:59 pm

Laughing So it's not just me that gets a regular "what on earth have you bought now" from the wife then!

In the interests of furthering knowlege then, I've removed the neck pup. The only marking is a small square with 45 in it. I'm guessing that makes it the standard pup that went in to this sort of thing but with a fancy faceplate? Ca't remove the bridge pup without fully removing the strings and as I've just put a new set on, that will have to wait. there is no visible difference though fromthe outside.

Hope that helps is some small way
PDS
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:28 pm

MMK 45's then. The lettering may have been engraved into the base of the back itself rather than stamped. Good for you and twice as nice!!
Iceman
Iceman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down