The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thunder 1a lead guitar wiring problems.

+2
Iceman
jerrybunn
6 posters

Go down

thunder - Thunder 1a lead guitar wiring problems. Empty Thunder 1a lead guitar wiring problems.

Post by jerrybunn Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:37 am

Hi all,

I've had my thunder 1a since 1985, its serial number is 4041121 so i'm guessing its 1984.

My problem is that about 20 years ago, i stupidly let an idiot with a soldering iron replace the mini toggles under the volume and tone
as they were snapped off when my guitar was thrown down some stairs at me by my stroppy Ex wife.
the active circuit switch was undamaged but since the switch repair, the tone of the guitar was different and depending on the pickup selector position, sometimes the switches do nothing to the sound at all, i daren't try the power circuit until the rest is put right.

I'm starting to restore it and what i really need is the wiring diagram, i had it a few years ago but lost it and the westone website says it has closed so i'm at a loss as electronics is not my forte. Can anyone out there help a poor struggler out?

Cheers
Jerry
jerrybunn
Registered Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

thunder - Thunder 1a lead guitar wiring problems. Empty Re: Thunder 1a lead guitar wiring problems.

Post by Iceman Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Hello Jerry and welcome!

Just lending some moral support for the moment. We are all at abit of a loss about the .info site closing as it was a great resource. One of our more technically gifted members will be along shortly I'm sure so hang in there. If someone out there in the great wide world of ether can answer this you will find them here.

Good to have you. Would love a pic or two of your project so far if you're of a mind to share. Another forum to try would be the Matsumoku forums at The Guitar Gallery. A link for you.....

http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/index.php?sid=c072e7c2cf00152d3271b1d38139aa9a

Not strickly Westone as you find here but many members own Westies there as well.
Iceman
Iceman
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

thunder - Thunder 1a lead guitar wiring problems. Empty Re: Thunder 1a lead guitar wiring problems.

Post by Steve777 Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:45 pm

Where are you Jerry? If you're in the UK which I guess by the tone of your post, how close are you to the Midlands? I have a 1A you can peep inside, or if further a field and at sometime this week, I can take some shots and email them to you.

Steve
Steve777
Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by jerrybunn Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:53 am

Steve777 wrote:Where are you Jerry? If you're in the UK which I guess by the tone of your post, how close are you to the Midlands? I have a 1A you can peep inside, or if further a field and at sometime this week, I can take some shots and email them to you.

Steve

I.m in the UK, what gave me away? at least i dont type with my severe yorkshire accent Laughing
I'm in wakefield, photos would help. the problem is that i can get some more sub mini toggles from maplins, but i needed to know what colour wire went on what terminal as i think the Common / normally open and closed terminal pin layout was different on the ones originally fitted.
The layout diagram westone had on the website showed the pin numbers and the layout of the swithches internals so i could use my test meter to map out the replacement switches.
Any help at all would be grateful, i want my guitar back to working condition, it will never look new due to the hard life its had with dents, deep scratches and open wood grain but it sounded a lot better pre Ex wife and i've time on my hands with my job dissappearing last month.
so i'm having to do the work my self as cheap as possible rather than pay some other bloke.

I'll pin some pictures on this thread shortly to show you what i mean. muchly cheers for the offer.
jerrybunn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:40 am

thunder - Thunder 1a lead guitar wiring problems. Scan0010
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:16 am

Well there's the first wiring diagram, how many more do you have Damian :?: cheers
fish
fish

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2010-12-16

http://www.fisherrestoration.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:35 am

I had that one to hand as it came with some recently ordered spares.
Sure i have some others somewhere. I'll search them out.
If not, just have to do them again.
I've enough Westones to do diagrams from. Very Happy
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fish Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:41 am

Westbone wrote:I had that one to hand as it came with some recently ordered spares.
Sure i have some others somewhere. I'll search them out.
If not, just have to do them again.
I've enough Westones to do diagrams from. Very Happy

A way t'go Damian, here's one posted by anaerobe...... http://xkcd.com/730/ Laughing
fish
fish

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2010-12-16

http://www.fisherrestoration.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks for that, Damian!! Smile
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by jerrybunn Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:33 pm

AHAAAAA that looks like the drawing i had that i lost, many thanks for that, its a good start for working out the internals,
Despite being in the 240VAC electrical installation trade for a long time, when it comes to DC i'm an utter remtard.
At least i can make a start now.
Pictures of my long suffering battered pride and joy 1a are on the way as soon as i locate the correct bit of wire to shoehorn my camera into the PC.

jerrybunn
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down