The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spectrum FX on Ebay, be careful everyone!

+2
corsair
The Chad
6 posters

Go down

Spectrum FX on Ebay, be careful everyone! Empty Spectrum FX on Ebay, be careful everyone!

Post by The Chad Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:55 am

So I saw this on Ebay, and was elated at first.

Spectrum FX

This is the exact FX that I've been searching for, the right pickups and the right color. But they hacked it. Mad WHY?!

Here's the descripiton:
"Everything works as it should. It has been wired as with a five way switch and basically operates like a Strat. The gold three way switch does not work"

This alarmed me and made me suspicious, so I'd explained the push/pull pots and asked if they were still there, and what wasn't original on the guitar. Here's the response I'd gotten:
"Hi, None of the pots have a push-pull function. It is wired just like a Strat. As for what is original I have never had a Westone Spectrum, not 100% certian. The pickups look correct to the age of the guitar (and they match eachother). Tuners look original as well. The red finish looks original, black stripe not so much. Hope this helps."

Yes, thank you Ebay seller, it does help. Help to dash my hopes, that is!!! pale Sad Crying or Very sad

He obviously doesn't know much about FX's, and to see one butchered is sad. I finally come across a red FX, but it's one that someone Frankenstien'd. If you listen closely, this guitar gently weeps. Fixing this may be a lot of work, yeah? And even if I did buy it and fix it, it would still have that scar where the 5 way switch was!!! Mad

But a question about those pickups, why don't all FX's have those? I've seen some without the rail type, anyone know why this is? scratch
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Spectrum FX on Ebay, be careful everyone! Empty Re: Spectrum FX on Ebay, be careful everyone!

Post by corsair Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:33 am

I'd be prepared to bet that it still has the OEM pots, which are just gummed solid; it still has the Switchmaster knobs, the stringlocks are there and the bridge looks complete! Re-wiring would not take much effort at all, even if you did have to replace the pots!! And fixing the wood where the 5 way is isn't much of a bother either; I reckon you might be onto a goody there...

I really don't think the wally who's selling it has any idea of what he's got; it's not a thru-neck for a start Rolling Eyes , and "black stripe was an add on" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Spectrum FX on Ebay, be careful everyone! Empty Re: Spectrum FX on Ebay, be careful everyone!

Post by Barry Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:22 am

Yeah, a bit of work required, but it still looks like a bargain to moi too!

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8695
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:43 am

Thanks for the insight, guys. It's a good bargain right now, but we'll see what it shoots up to!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Iceman Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:23 pm

I suppose an SX would not soften the blow???.....

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/2176662346.html
Iceman
Iceman

Number of posts : 2894
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.glowingtubes.com/p/Kahler_Instructions.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:11 pm

[quoteI really don't think the wally who's selling it has any idea of what he's got; it's not a thru-neck for a start Rolling Eyes , and "black stripe was an add on" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes [/quote] Razz Razz

No doubt, this guy is no Westone expert fo sho! I'm not so sure about this one unless it stays low, but i'll bet it gets close to $200.

Edit: Ya know, upon closer inspection it may be a good score. You could easily rewire the push-pull pots and i'd just keep the 5 way switch in there ( looks like they did a pretty good job) even though it would be unconnected. Replace the cheesy white cap to black. Lots of hard to find original parts. Hell, i think i'd be interested if i didn't already have a beautiful black one! Very Happy
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Westbone Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:00 pm

What do ya think a fair price for a Spectrum, GT,LX, in good nick, not what folks ask but worth at todays prices for a decent guit,?? Tell me, in comparision to a similar instrument?
Westbone
Westbone
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 5917
Registration date : 2008-12-28

http://www.chruler.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:45 am

Normally I wouldn't like to speculate, but seeing as Spectrums are my thing, as it were, I will add my tuppence worth...

regardless of the high regard I - and quite a number of others in here - think of the Spectrums, we have to remember that they were the workhorse range of Westone; they are no Pantera or Session II and the values reflect that; probably unfairly!!

I have never paid more than 200 for a Spectrum, and that was for a minty MX; all the rest come in quite a bit cheaper than that. I think the sellers on the bay who are asking the usurious prices are dreaming, frankly, and I suspect that they've got a serious case of "vintage, rare Jap guitar" disease...

Spectrums may become a little more expensive as the years roll on, but they will never reach the sort of dosh realised by the X350s and Sessions, or probably even the prices for the likes of the more uncommon Genesis ...

I can see the early MIK stuff being next in the firing line for a radical price hike, though....
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:29 am

corsair wrote:...I can see the early MIK stuff being next in the firing line for a radical price hike, though....
Agreed. I've just been doing a bit of light research on my MIK APII TA-60, trying to decipher the serial number more accurately. In the process I have come across a few recent sales which confirm this hunch. I paid a little over CAD$300 for mine about a year ago, and the sales I tracked were already in the CAD$500+ range. Time to be looking seriously at the early MIK's folks! I believe many of the post-Mats top end instruments were still being made/assembled in Japan before moving to Korea.

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8695
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:21 pm

I agree Corsair, a bolt on Spectrum should never go over $200. An FX, on the other hand, i have never seen go under $200, they are the top of the line Spectrum as you know. What incredible guitars they are.

P.S Corsair- My X199 is rockin thanks to you and your kindness! The saddle works perfectly.
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:00 am

Iceman wrote:I suppose an SX would not soften the blow???.....

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/2176662346.html

Thanks for the lead, Ice. What softens the blow is your super cool AVATAR!!! lol! lol! lol!

Just made me laugh out loud this morning, thanks! cheers
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:42 am

And if this thing doesn't shoot too high, I'll go after it. I'll need help fixin' her up, but a project might be fun to dive into, right? I'm spoiled anyhow, I need a guitar that I won't be afraid to slightly scratch!

The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down