The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

89/90 Westone Villain Standard

5 posters

Go down

Villain - 89/90 Westone Villain Standard Empty 89/90 Westone Villain Standard

Post by Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:43 pm

I have a Westone Villain I have to give up o help pay a few bills. I'd really like to sell it to someone who appreciates the quality and soul of these guitars. I've been playing Electra/Westone since my first X195B and like to snatch them up when I find them locally Smile This is my second Villain, my first was a Charcoal Villain Graphite that I bought new when I was 17.

Anyway, the neck is excellent with little fretwear. There are some marks and dings on the body here and there. Most could easily be buffed out. The is a small chip in the poly-coat on the front by the pickups but it's not down to the wood. Lastly, I don't have a bar for the trem.

Sounds great, plays great, looks pretty darn good (when you wipe off the fingerprints, lol) I just can't afford to keep it at the moment.

I'd like to get around $250 for it plus shipping. Let me know if I'm nuts, and then make me an offer Very Happy I'd rather make someone a good deal then to hold on forever and not get the bills paid.

Thanks for looking.

-Andy

Villain - 89/90 Westone Villain Standard IMG_0667
Villain - 89/90 Westone Villain Standard IMG_0668
Villain - 89/90 Westone Villain Standard IMG_0669
Villain - 89/90 Westone Villain Standard IMG_0671
Villain - 89/90 Westone Villain Standard IMG_0672
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Villain - 89/90 Westone Villain Standard Empty Re: 89/90 Westone Villain Standard

Post by boutjp97 Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:20 am

What country are you in? Where is the guitar located?
boutjp97
boutjp97

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2008-05-16

https://www.facebook.com/jason.bouton

Back to top Go down

Villain - 89/90 Westone Villain Standard Empty Re: 89/90 Westone Villain Standard

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:35 am

Oh, sorry... I live in Columbus, Ohio.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:36 pm

Is anyone even the slightest bit interested or have any comments? Is my price too high? Am I too new to the board to sell? I hate to put it on eBay, but I have to get rid of it. If you're interested, make me an offer.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:05 pm

manticus wrote:Is anyone even the slightest bit interested or have any comments? Is my price too high? Am I too new to the board to sell? I hate to put it on eBay, but I have to get rid of it. If you're interested, make me an offer.

Sorry, mate - I can't afford to pay attention atm as I've just bought a Spectrum II and have a line on a Pantera... Shipping kills most deals for us out of the US anyway!! This looks really nice and from what I've read they are a true players guitar; I don't think we actually know all that much about them in here!!

Can't comment on price as I've not seen any others for sale but I figure 250 is about right but I suppose with the recession and such, peeps are watching the pennies!!

Good luck, man!!
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by boutjp97 Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:07 am

I have to declare shenanigans here. I am the guy that identified that very guitar for a music store in Columbus, Ohio as it was listed as a pantera originally. That I know because of the exact chip in the exact spot on the headstock, and the same dent on the body near the single coils. In fact I posted about that guitar here before and nasticanasta has even played it and posted about it. That guitar was bought from Music Go Round in Columbus, Ohio for $99 US the same day that you posted it for sale here for $250. If you want to make a quick buck try eBay, we are a pretty knowledgeable bunch here and it's hard to put one over on us. I would hate to encourage people to snap up Westone guitars at low prices and then try to prey on us here on a Westone fan site. Just my opinion. Mad
boutjp97
boutjp97

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:52 am

boutjp97 wrote:I have to declare shenanigans here. I am the guy that identified that very guitar for a music store in Columbus, Ohio as it was listed as a pantera originally. That I know because of the exact chip in the exact spot on the headstock, and the same dent on the body near the single coils. In fact I posted about that guitar here before and nasticanasta has even played it and posted about it. That guitar was bought from Music Go Round in Columbus, Ohio for $99 US the same day that you posted it for sale here for $250. If you want to make a quick buck try eBay, we are a pretty knowledgeable bunch here and it's hard to put one over on us. I would hate to encourage people to snap up Westone guitars at low prices and then try to prey on us here on a Westone fan site. Just my opinion. Mad

An opinion you're entitled to. Do you have a problem with a guy trying to make some money? Does the fact that I got a good deal on the guitar make it any less valuable? Have you ever bought anything and sold it for more than you paid for it? Nothing I said in my post was false. This is my second Villain, I am an Electra/Westone enthusiast and am very knowledgable about their guitars and history. I have owned many of then over the years.

I'm not trying to put one over on anyone, the guitar is worth what it's worth. If you don't want to buy it, fine. The reason it was priced as low as it was is that no one at the store cared to do anything with it to make it sellable. The setup was horrible, the neck had back bow and needed adjusted. No one was going to buy it like that, so they kept dropping the price. I bought it, knowing what it was and what it was worth, and spent the time to set it up and make it play the way it should.

If you found a Corvette in some old lady's barn and bought it for $1000, does that mean you could only sell it for $1000? No, you'd sell it for what it was worth, and if you were even slightly intelligent, you'd sell it to someone who loved Corvettes. No one would begrudge you the money you made or call you out by saying "She thought it was a Chevette, but I told her it was a Corvette but I didn't bother to buy it. Now I'm going to let everyone know he got a great deal on it so he looks like a schmuck for making a profit."

Also, for your information, it is on eBay because I really do need to sell it to make some money. I thought I would be nice and offer it to the people who might really have an interest in it before I put it up for the general populous. I know how hard I looked for a Villain Graphite over the last 10 years and I would have liked it if someone offered it up to me.

So, stay on your high horse if you'd like, Mr. Self-Righteous. I'm here to sell a guitar, make someone a good deal and make a little money for myself. It's called a mutually beneficial transaction. I have no doubt that many people here are very knowledgeable, but I wouldn't presume to include myself in that statement if I were you...

To everyone else on the board, if you all are as smug as this guy, then I'll leave and not come back. If not, that's awesome, I love to talk SLM guitars with knowledgable people and would love to hang around.

The guitar is still for sale, make me an offer if you're interested. You obviously know what I paid for it now and can offer accordingly.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:07 am

"Caaaaan you feeeeel, the looooove toniiiiggghhhttt!" cheers lol!
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Number of posts : 2772
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:15 am

manticus wrote:An opinion you're entitled to. Do you have a problem with a guy trying to make some money?

No, we don't but we also appreciate full disclosure; no-one here really cares what you bought it for and if it is priced too high , then it won't sell. Simple.
The other thing about this site is that it's ethos has always been the sharing of knowledge about the brand and the public 'For sale section' is an afterthought; put in as a benefit to members; we do get a few who join up just to sell a guitar and once the guitar has gone, we never hear from them again. Hardly beneficial to the site overall, I think you'll agree.

So, stay on your high horse if you'd like, Mr. Self-Righteous. I have no doubt that many people here are very knowledgeable, but I wouldn't presume to include myself in that statement if I were you...

Everyone take a step back and take a deep breath, eh.... Your post count isn't anywhere near high enough to be making personality judgements on long term members here.

To everyone else on the board, if you all are as smug as this guy, then I'll leave and not come back.

Either way, I'm happy. If you're going to tar everybody with the same brush and fire up at what was a fairly innocuous post, then perhaps the latter might be best. We'd be sorry to see you go as you seem to have a line on stuff that we know very little about - the Villains are poorly documented and I'm quite interested in them, as it happens.

corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:02 pm

we do get a few who join up just to sell a guitar and once the guitar has gone, we never hear from them again. Hardly beneficial to the site overall, I think you'll agree.

Totally agree. But I'd like to think that if the company is good, friendly and knowledgable that I'd have plenty to share with and learn from.

Everyone take a step back and take a deep breath, eh.... Your post count isn't anywhere near high enough to be making personality judgements on long term members here.

In the two responses I received from you I can tell you are cordial, thoughtful and truly interested in learning about these things. The first response from him hit me like the new kid in school made fun of in front of in gym class for wearing second hand clothes. I didn't have to make a judgement, it was handed to me. And like that kid, I should have kept my mouth shut, but he got my hackles up. I apologize to the other members for that.

Either way, I'm happy. If you're going to tar everybody with the same brush and fire up at what was a fairly innocuous post, then perhaps the latter might be best.

I'd prefer not to tar anyone with that brush. The post he made was insulting to my integrity and handled in a very accusatory beware-of-the-outsider way. No questions, no chance to give more detail. I would not call that innocuous.

We'd be sorry to see you go as you seem to have a line on stuff that we know very little about - the Villains are poorly documented and I'm quite interested in them, as it happens.

And I'd be sorry to leave. I registered quite some time ago and have been lurking. There is a lot of good information here, and there is a lot I have to share.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:15 pm

manticus wrote: I should have kept my mouth shut, but he got my hackles up. I apologize to the other members for that.

ummm... what the heck are hackles? Sounds painful. When I used to live in Texas, we used to get our dander up. Sometimes that was painful. Here in Pennsylvania, we just get our blood boiling. Which is most likely a far, far more serious condition than hackles could ever be.

Gotta love regional phrasing.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:34 pm

OK, then... we have full disclosure and an apology; good on you, mate!! As I said, I'd be sorry to see you go!! Things can get a bit heated at times and I've found that generally just a step back and realising that it is only the internet and not the solution to world famine works a treat!!

Again, I wish you luck with the sale and hope you do choose to share some of your insights and experiences with the folk here; we live for pictures, you know.... Very Happy
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chad Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm just hoping your hackles return to normal. I may start using that one.
The Chad
The Chad
Financial supporter

Back to top Go down

Post by boutjp97 Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:56 pm

Manticus, it wasn't a personal attack against you as your response to me was. It was just my opinion as I clearly stated and you agreed that I am entitled. I just stated that this site is more of a help thy neighbor place rather than a free market. What you are doing goes against what i believe this site and sale section are about (again only my opinion). As someone who has owned well over 50 westones (I own 30 at present) including several rare westones and a westone player of 25 years I believe I am pretty knowledgeable about the brand. Sorry to foil your attempt at making a profit, I'm just doing what I believe to be right. No personal attack or judgment against you. I hope you do well with your eBay auction.
boutjp97
boutjp97

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:10 pm

boutjp97 wrote: As someone who has owned well over 50 westones (I own 30 at present) including several rare westones.

Can we get a group photo of them all? (hope you have a wide angle lense and 30 guitar stands.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:19 pm

boutjp97,

I have to declare shenanigans here. ...... it's hard to put one over on us. I would hate to encourage people to snap up Westone guitars at low prices and then try to prey on us here on a Westone fan site.

That's not questioning my integrity? Sounds like you just backdoor'd one in there to me. Just because you add the tagline "Just my opinion" doesn't make it right to say. That would be like me saying "You're a passive aggressive moron who thinks they are above manners. Just my opinion" Doesn't really work does it?

Looks like my initial assessment was right. I admitted I went overboard the first time, but you seem to think there was nothing wrong with what you said and that "good luck with your auction" makes things all better. Pretty immature if you ask me. Just my opinion...

Corsair,
Thanks for mediating, but I'll go ahead and delete my account now. It's too bad, I really enjoy chatting about these things...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by boutjp97 Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:01 am

You're just sooooo angry. I sincerely meant I hope You do well on eBay, the proper place to turn a profit. I stand by my original statement. I also still wish you well on your auction, I understand everyone has to pay bills. Take it as passive aggressiveness if you choose but I meant it sincerely. Internet arguments, is there ever really any point? Just take into account vocal inflection and connotation cannot be conveyed in a post. Now stop threatening to take your football and go home and just enjoy the forum and the unparalleled Westone knowledge contained here.
boutjp97
boutjp97

Back to top Go down

Post by boutjp97 Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:15 am

And I will take a photo of most of them in one shot. I have three 7 racks full as I just bought a new house and am remodeling so most are in a heated attic. I know most of the 21 are westones. Next to it I have cases containing my two x-350ma panteras and a session and rainbow. I should be able to put most if not all in a picture. Maybe easier to video phone it to YouTube. You can also look in my previous posts and see most of them, not in one shot but I still do own most of them. I just added a bunch more since then. I'll try to get it later today.

boutjp97
boutjp97

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:08 am

sarcaster wrote:
boutjp97 wrote: As someone who has owned well over 50 westones (I own 30 at present) including several rare westones.

Can we get a group photo of them all? (hope you have a wide angle lense and 30 guitar stands.

A friend of mine in Australia displayed all of his Matsumokus at a guitar show in his home town, and he needed to get quite high to get a proper angle to fit them all in!! He even custom built a display stand which was all of 30m long... I'll see if I can find a pic... it looked really cool and if an Aussie can do it, bout.. you can!! C'mon; enough teasing, bro - let's see 'em!!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by boutjp97 Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:38 am

Below is a link to a youtube video I took from my phone of more than half of my collection. Sorry about the video being dark, I took it with my droid phone. The guitars are in a heated attic space, it is in the single digit fahrenheit here. The video is set to some of my original music recorded with various westones and a washburn N4. I show my Aria XX (not a westone but a Matsumoku), then I get to the Westies with an X120, one of my X350MA's, a pink pantera X-300, a Leader, a paduak II, a pearloid white Concord III, a white Spectrum FX, a sunburst Pantera X-275, a Prestige 150, an XA-1330 white burgundy burst body (almost all electronics are Matsumoku) with a custom made neck (the water slide logo I bought off of one of the forum members here), a rainbow II, three Dim IV's (one of each color), a candy apple red corsair XA1430CA, a Thunder I, a Session II, my other Pantera X-350MA (took a good look at the fretboard after reading the recent post on "shrinking wood"), a couple empty cases (I loose track of things easily), a westone unidentified model 4, I also have two wetone necks and a spectrum II body up there that I didn't show, and I have two unfinished project westones under my bed (I believe Barry identified one of the projects guitars as an electra westone phoenix model over two years ago, there are pics of it somewhere on here. The other project guitar I can't remember but I think it was a spectrum DX or something along those lines). So this video only shows 19 of my westones but there are three others in the house in various states of repair accounting for 22 of my 30 westones. The other 8 are safely tucked away at my new house in the soon to be westone/music loft. As I remember there aren't any overly rare guitars there. I believe just a bunch of lower end Spectrums and Concords and the like. Anyway the X-120 in the video will be leaving my family as I am giving to my cousin next week. He is a masterful drywall hanger/painter and I need his services. He didn't ask for compensation but did mention several times that he really likes that guitar so I think his work is well worth it. There is some concern that the loft may not hold all of my guitars and equipment so I may have to sell off some, I have about a dozen or so non-Matsumoku guitars also. When I get the loft done (hopefully by summer) I will have all of my guitars and equipment in one place and will attempt to get a group shot then. I am only going to sell the lower end models if I need to thin the herd for space before you all ask for my 350MA or session or rainbow Very Happy . Hopefully I can fit 35-40 guitars in the loft, I guess I'll find out in a couple of months. Long video, sorry. [url=LINK]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E54fIWBAjyE[/url]
boutjp97
boutjp97

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:07 am

Thanks for that... and you're right, it was a bit dark!! Laughing I'd like to see that Leader a bit more, and was that Padauks headstock curly maple??? Shocked That is such a good selection you've got, it really is!! Please, more pix... with some light?! Laughing
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:13 am

Ooooo, velly skery boys and girls! Welcome to the Haunted House of Uncle Mat! Villain - 89/90 Westone Villain Standard Smiley-gen014
Yeah a bit difficult to make them all out clearly but wow, nice collection!
boutjp97 wrote:...there aren't any overly rare guitars there. I believe just a bunch of lower end Spectrums and Concords and the like...
Lower end? My 4 Spec's and the Concord are over in the corner crying.
...The guitars are in a heated attic space, it is in the single digit fahrenheit here...
Geez, water freezes at 32°F. I would not consider single digit Fahrenheit to be "heated"! And the humidity must be high too no? Villain - 89/90 Westone Villain Standard Smiley-confused013

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8700
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by boutjp97 Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:26 am

Corsair, I checked after you asked about the paduak neck being birdseye maple. It did look like it in the video so I went upstairs to have a look. Upon inspection it really does look similar to birdseye, but I think it may just be a particularly lovely piece of hard maple as per the normal Matsumoku specs for that guitar. The poor lighting in the video also made the lovely grain stand out even more. And Barry, please apologize to your spectrums for me. I didn't mean spectrums were low end, I just meant lower end of the spectrum line as far as price point and features as compared to the FX which was shown in the video. I'm like Roy Rogers, "I never met a Westone I didn't like". And the attic space is heated and usually has an ambient temperature of around 68 Fahrenheit, I meant the outdoor temp has been in the single digits (I really need to better articulate when I post). The moisture/humidity is not a problem as this house is an old build and still has the Victorian era cast iron radiator heat which is fully enclosed. Cast iron radiators don't add any humidity to the air (as far as I know as it's just a piece of heated iron) and this winter has been so cold the air around here is always crisp and dry. I actually put disposable humidor water bars in open zip-lock baggies in the cases with my guitars that are stored away from the main part of the house to assure that they get enough humidity for the winter. I was taught that humidor trick by my luthier so all credit goes to him.
boutjp97
boutjp97

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:03 pm

Whew! I feel better knowing it's 68 in there! Laughing Yeah those old cast iron rads are great thermal sinks and should do a great job of, um, radiating at a fairly constant rate, unlike the modern aluminum finned style which can cool down quickly.
Don't know anything about disposable humidor water bars, but sounds like an interesting solution.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by boutjp97 Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:08 am

Those humidor bars really are a brilliant trick. They are cheap disposable and easy to use delivering a consistent amount of moisture to get my lovelies through the roughest and driest part of the winter. I buy the long cigar shaped ones from my local tobacconist but couldn't find them online. These pads are the same thing. Just peel the film off and place it in an open plastic baggie in case of leakage, then place in the case. HERE is a link to the product. The ones I use are distilled water and also have an anti mould/fungal solution in it so your case lining will be safe.
boutjp97
boutjp97

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:36 am

Thanks for the link! Good idea.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Villain - 89/90 Westone Villain Standard Empty don't really want to get in this mess but...

Post by stpetecubby Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:31 pm

Looks like its still available on eBay for a mere $25 but $150 for shipping. Seems a tad high for shipping. (Item #150560366299)

On a TOTALLY unrelated topic, if you report an item on eBay (like for say fraudulent listings), do you get to remain anonymous?
stpetecubby
Registered Member

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-01-28

https://www.facebook.com/stpetecubby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down