The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redressing frets

3 posters

Go down

Redressing frets Empty Redressing frets

Post by cnevins Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:28 pm

Hey all! I just bought an '82 Prestige 150 and I'm looking for some input from ya'll. I had it setup and the action isn't where I would like it. Here's why. The frets from 14 to 19 are raised and the truss rod is bowing the neck out to clear these frets so it can be played on the lower half of neck. The guy said if he adjusts the truss rod to make the neck straight in the upper frets, the strings bottom out in the lower when played from the 6-8th fret on down. The guy who set it up said that he himself wouldn't touch it, but to have those lower frets dressed by a luthier would be at least a $100 bill and up from there. I know some of you guys are pretty stinkin' good at this type of thing, namely 'Racing'. Is this something that a couple skilled hands could do with the proper direction? My gut says yes, as it seems like this is a matter of carefully leveling them out down the length of the neck. By the way I was getting pretty red in the face when the guy at the guitar shop said the 150 was a piece of junk (and the neck was garbage) right in front of a bunch of people!!! Shocked Evil or Very Mad Not good business, IMHO! So now I'm on a mission to get her shaped up. Shoot it to me straight guys and thanks for any input!

cnev

Last edited by cnevins on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
cnevins
cnevins
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Back to top Go down

Redressing frets Empty Re: Redressing frets

Post by cnevins Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:18 pm

Turn of events. Kinda pissed right now...but laughing MAO at the same time. This guy who worked on my guitar totally adjusted it to 'suck'! I took it into my shop to see what I could discover. First I noticed that the Low E side of the bridge was totally bottomed out, while the high side was a 1/16 to 3/32 up off the body. Then, I popped off the truss rod cover and upon tightening, I realized the truss rod was completely loose!!! confused Within 5 minutes I adjusted these two factors and had the guitar pretty darn good. I gotta say, there still is a bit of buzz on the low side so I still need to address that. I'm over being out the setup fee, I think it's pretty hilarious (and messed up) that a store owner(!) would risk messing with someone's guitar that ultimately threatens his stock, just to get a big sale (tried to sell me an Amer. strat). Hold onto your Mats boys, the word's getting around. BTW, I hope this hasn't been too much 'drama.' later.
cnevins
cnevins
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:16 am

Just inexcusable behaviour from a so-called professional.
Good on you for:
1) not taking the bait
2) taking things into your own hands and making it right!

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8685
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Racing Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:11 pm

Yes. A fretjob is certainly something something doable for anyone that´s not all thumbs. Said it before,and i´ll say it again...just do it.
Tools needed are few and those tools will in turn serve you for many many yrs to come.
Racing
Racing
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down