The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I sure am good at accidentally bending guitar parts.

4 posters

Go down

guitar - I sure am good at accidentally bending guitar parts. Empty I sure am good at accidentally bending guitar parts.

Post by Warrn Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:19 am

Guess I need to bring my more beat up basses to band practice. I brought a Rail bass to since we have extremely limited space, set it on a chair, and it somehow managed to slip off and fall to the floor (slightly cushioned by the gig bag). At first I thought it was fine, til I strummed it and noticed the low E was so sharp it was nearly as high as the D string. Shocked Turns out it landed on the E string tuner and bent it over til the A tuner stopped it. Crying or Very sad I carefully bent it back (dropping the string down to between F# and G), tuned it back to E, and tested it out. Not only is everything still functional (no bent rails, phew), but the other three strings all stayed in perfect pitch! Uncle Mat sure did build em tough.

Anyway, what makes this a technical post is I was wondering if anyone might have a low risk idea of how to bend this tuner straight again. I don't want to replace it, since it's original and functional, but I don't know how to go about trying to straighten it either. If no one has any ideas, then well... I guess a functional but bent tuner gives it some personal mojo, eh? Neutral
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

guitar - I sure am good at accidentally bending guitar parts. Empty Re: I sure am good at accidentally bending guitar parts.

Post by corsair Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:40 am

Apply heat judiciously when it's off the guitar and gently bend it back into position. If you try to bend without heat, you will weaken the steel.. if it is steel?? Show us the offending bit, Warren...

And don't let's lean our gear on anything, eh?! Cool
corsair

Number of posts : 6322
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

guitar - I sure am good at accidentally bending guitar parts. Empty Re: I sure am good at accidentally bending guitar parts.

Post by Warrn Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:04 pm

I'd be happy to show you if my camera was working! And it wasn't leaning, it was laying on the chair and had been for a few minutes. I had thought it was safe. Neutral
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by Racing Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:46 am

IIRC the tuners for the rail is the same as for my X910.

In that case it´s rather easy,and my take is that you should NOT use heat as the tuning pegs by my knowledge are made from mild steel.

What you however do need to is to take the entire bridge apart,which by all means is rather easy.
Just let go of stringpressure and then use a philips to bolt it apart.
As you do you´ll notice how each tuner is bolted into sort of a sleigh that runs on a ramp.
The tuning pegs are merely screwed in there so gettting them out SHOULD just be a matter of backing the offending peg out of there.

Point here being that the "working" part of the tuner is just a piece of like 5mm mild steel with metric windings to it.
In short my take is that you can straighten it in a regular vice of some sorts and then bolt the whole thing back together.

I recall when servicing the bridge and tuning mechanism on my 910 i applied a drop of full hardening loctite to each peg vs sleigh and that sure seems to hav doen the trick cause the entire bridge/tuning mechinism is rock solid these days.
Racing
Racing
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:06 am

Thanks Racing, they are the same to my knowledge and that sounds much easier than using heat!
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:47 pm

Sorry to hear that Warrn.
It's very easy to wag a finger and say, "You shouldn't have done that!", but the truth is we human beings are lazy, myself included. The left brain tells you to be responsible and do the right thing, but the right side always wants to take the easy way out and says, "Oh c'mon, it's gonna be OK like that! It's just for a minute."

I do silly stuff like that every time I rotate my guitars in the music room. I have to remind myself to put the damn guitar in a stand and not lay it on the top of a stool or lean it against the wall as I open/close a case. tongue

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry

Number of posts : 8702
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Racing Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:33 pm

Nah Barry....i think we should strive more for the attitude along the lines of blowing poop up.
Kind a like Oppenheimer style.
Racing
Racing

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down