The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fernandes guitars?

4 posters

Go down

Fernandes guitars? Empty Fernandes guitars?

Post by hobster Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:51 pm

I know this is a Westone forum, but i recently acquired a neck thru Fernandes from the 80's. I tried to get some info on the Japanaxe forum but got no love. The Matsumoku forum is kinda slow too ( and i'm sure its no Matt). This is by far the best forum in my opinion, you guys are super cool and knowledgeable. So what the hell, i'll give it a shot.
I was told this was Korean, but it has Gotohs and Hitachi wiring. I think it might be a 1987 FR120. What do you guys think? Did Fernandes even make Korean guitars then?

http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/content/Guitar_catalog_scans/Fernandes/1986_vol1/1986_Fernandes_04.jpg

I've never played a Fernandes before but its a sweet axe! Missing neck pup but otherwise in decent condition. Reverse headstock on the H-S-S pup configuration. Adrian Vandenberg endorsed this model ( except his was way cooler).Thanks, and hopefully my fellow Westie lovers will have a little info.

some pics:

Fernandes guitars? Fernandes047

Fernandes guitars? Fernandes044

Fernandes guitars? Fernandes042

Fernandes guitars? Fernandes041

Fernandes guitars? Fernandes038

Fernandes guitars? Fernandes036
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Fernandes guitars? Empty Re: Fernandes guitars?

Post by Steve777 Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:27 pm

Hi, cant say I know a great deal about Fernandes, but I do agree with you that it looks like an FR 120 ( Well, according to google images anyway) . Is that a preamp in the control cavity or one of those sustainer kits? Don't some of these guitars have active pick ups?

Overall a nice guitar !! Sorry I cant of been more help.
Steve777
Steve777

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by DuoFuzz Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:50 pm

I did some research (OK I Googled it!) and I've tracked down a catalogue with you guitar in it!

1988 Fernandes Catalogue Cover - The small text at the bottom of the page mentions the HB/HB pickup version had the normal headstock and the SC/SC/HB version got the reverse headstock.

1988 Fernandes Price List - Check out the Revolver Series. The FR-120 was available in Trans Blue, Trans Red, Pearl White or Black. Your guitar was the most expensive on the list coming in at $1179 cyclops, and that was in 1988!!!

I've also found some info on Fernandes HERE. It's not an official history but seems to be one guys view on the the company. A lot of it centres around the high end Burny lawsuit Les Paul copies but it does mention production possibly starting in Korea around the early 2000's. There was also a Chinese factory, but the quality wasn't on a par with the MIJ stuff. All this info appears to be based on the LP copies so it might be a different story for the production of other models.

Going off the year, the construction (a $1200 top of the range through neck can't be done on the cheap!) and it's fittings, I reckon that your guitar might be made in Japan. It's only my personal opinion but until someone can find some more info it seems it fit with Jap production unless they were made in someone else's factory.

Where ever it was made, it's a hell of a guitar Cool . Nice catch, well done sir! cheers

DAN. study
DuoFuzz
DuoFuzz

Number of posts : 640
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by caucajun Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:14 pm

i'se purty shur 80's fernandi was jap.............prolly from that Samick plant........or ESP.......
caucajun
caucajun

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by hobster Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Awesome, thanks guys (especially Dan). That was great info. The pups are active but i don't think its a sustainer kit, i'm pretty sure that came later. I'm learning as i go along Smile
I'm pretty stoked about this one. I've got almost 25 guitars, and i'm trying to thin out, so the last thing i needed was another axe. I got it locally for $90 on craigslist and couldn't resist. I think i'll sell one of my MIJ Fender Squires to make up for it! Wink
I knew you guys would pull through for me!
hobster
hobster

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2009-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down