The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bend master Deluxe to a Floyd Rose II

+4
colt933
Warrn
corsair
Deanster
8 posters

Go down

Bend master Deluxe to a Floyd Rose II Empty Bend master Deluxe to a Floyd Rose II

Post by Deanster Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:09 pm

I have what I think is a corsair, metallic salmon-pink with black binding, H/S/H coil tap. I really do not want to replace the neck with something that pulls the nut down to intonation perfect after I have replaced the BD with a Floyd II. I know the older Floyds are supposed to take care of the problem, or so they say. Will I correct the problem by putting the peg holes 3/8" forward (wince.. I love this guitar) forward?
Deanster
Registered Member

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-06-01

Back to top Go down

Bend master Deluxe to a Floyd Rose II Empty Re: Bend master Deluxe to a Floyd Rose II

Post by corsair Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:41 am

Why the bridge change?
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Bend master Deluxe to a Floyd Rose II Empty Re: Bend master Deluxe to a Floyd Rose II

Post by Deanster Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:52 am

There are parts missing from the Bendmaster and I like the Flord Rose.
Deanster
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:00 am

One or two of the fellas in here have done such a change and while possible, it seems a little trickier than first it may appear! I think Warrn or bout may have some ideas on this; check out their posts!!

What are you going to do with the Bendmaster??
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Deanster Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:15 am

The BD has no trem arm, and is somewhat useless to me, and I am thinking of changing the pickups. Once I do all of this, the guitar is essentially ruined to the collector. This means I will most likely have no need for the trem unit. I wish the guy selling the parts hadn't closed shop.
Deanster
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:37 am

The trem arm you can get at at Stewmac under trem bars for imported guitars; they're a pretty good replacement and you'll find that the Bendmaster is a pretty good floating trem when it's been set up properly.

But... Spares is back... and he's got the Chrome BD arms...

http://www.westone.info/spares/index.html

Are the p'ups busted or you just don't like the sound? Either way, when you swap 'em out, keep 'em safe with the Bendmaster and the collector value is still there...
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:16 pm

I think you're confusing me for someone, John, I'm just a bassist. I do remember someone (colt?) mentioning that the FR requires carving out some of the body to fit though.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Deanster Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:29 pm

The supplier states there will be no overseas posts for parts. The pickups sound weak and thin, so I thought it would be good to change them and I will keep those with the original BD.
Deanster
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:46 pm

Warrn wrote:I think you're confusing me for someone, John, I'm just a bassist. I do remember someone (colt?) mentioning that the FR requires carving out some of the body to fit though.

Yep; you're right... it was colt! Sorry!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:01 pm

Deanster, you could certainly talk to one of the many UK members here (such as John aka corsair) to see about getting the spares parts shipped to them and then to you. The FR does require modifications to the guitar's body, so keeping the Bendmaster might be the better option. If you do decide to switch to a Floyd, you may want to talk to or read posts about it by colt933, as he has done it once or twice. Go ahead and change the pickups, but keep the originals as John said.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by colt933 Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:39 am

Deanster wrote:I have what I think is a corsair, metallic salmon-pink with black binding, H/S/H coil tap. I really do not want to replace the neck with something that pulls the nut down to intonation perfect after I have replaced the BD with a Floyd II. I know the older Floyds are supposed to take care of the problem, or so they say. Will I correct the problem by putting the peg holes 3/8" forward (wince.. I love this guitar) forward?

Deanster:

I responded to your PM.

Where are you in TN? I'm in Nashville.

Robert
colt933
colt933

Number of posts : 583

Back to top Go down

Post by Deanster Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:28 am

I am in Knoxville.
Deanster
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Deanster Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:16 pm

I really do love this guitar. I put a chrome FR II on it and changed the locking nut to chrome, it is beautiful. Also, the weight of the guitar is amazing. It is not built like a cheap guitar is built these days I will try to get a pic on the site to show you all. I would go back to a BD if I could find one in chrome with a trem arm for a reasonable price (while I am at it, I will try to find the Easter Bunny, as well). I will be changing out the pickups, to boot. I will have a black trem BD (sans trem arm) and some pickups for an interested member of this forum. I will go to chrome pickups with chrome rings: my guitar will probably look like a '58 Cadillac when it is all said and done. The pink Westone is truly beautiful.
Deanster
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:47 pm

Yeah, I quite fancy the flouro pink 1440 myself; so I'd love to see yours!! Bend master Deluxe to a Floyd Rose II Icon_biggrin I'd certainly be interested in the BD as well....
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Deanster Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:47 pm

Is it called flouro-pink? That is cool as all get out! We can get this done when I have completed my project; you called it first. Do you also want the pickups?
Deanster
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Deanster Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:20 pm

I am on the fence abou this guitar, I do not want to ruin it. I may just want it to go to a good home. I cringe at the thought of drilling it.
Deanster
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:00 am

mate, take a pic or two and whack 'em up here; we like to look at others gear - I know that didn't sound quite right, but you know what we mean!! If you like the guitar but it isn't quite doing it for you, then no-ones gonna quibble if you tweak to where you want it to be, especially if it is a working guitar!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:51 am

[quote="corsair"]The trem arm you can get at at Stewmac under trem bars for imported guitars; they're a pretty good replacement and you'll find that the Bendmaster is a pretty good floating trem when it's been set up properly.

Sorry but Stew Mac sells a 6mm thread arm not 8mm like the Bendmaster's. I actually have a machinist at work making one up for me. He will cost it out and we will see if it is worth making some to sell. They will only be stainless steel, no coatings.
madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:12 am

The Bendmaster FT and Deluxe both use arms with an M6 thread
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:08 am

My apologies, I checked it against hardware at work. M6 and M8 nuts and socket head screws. It wouldn't be the first time bins got mixed up though. This is good news, being wrong :>).
I'll just get my trem bars aftermarket after all. I'll double check monday at work just to straighten the bin out.

Thanks Thorn.
madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:53 am

madmarcus1960 wrote:My apologies, I checked it against hardware at work. M6 and M8 nuts and socket head screws. It wouldn't be the first time bins got mixed up though. This is good news, being wrong :>).
I'll just get my trem bars aftermarket after all. I'll double check monday at work just to straighten the bin out.

Thanks Thorn.

Bend master Deluxe to a Floyd Rose II Icon_lol Mate, you won't be the last to be caught out by wrong bits in the bin!! And I think Thorn may still have some FT bars as well!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:05 pm

If I can get one that works in the state, I won't have to impose on you. My Westones are players not collectibles. They've been gutted, rewired, new PUP's, etc. I don't have to have an original style bar. I actually like a strat bars angle better, but most floyds turn up more.

Later

Corsair I'll get you some pic of my collection, I know you love this stuff. I have some great non Westone pieces as well like my Yamaha Weddington Classic for starters.
madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:21 pm

corsair wrote:...Mate, you won't be the last to be caught out by wrong bits in the bin!...
Yeah, um, have you met my 15 year old son? Razz:

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8695
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by umpdv5000 Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:27 am

madmarcus1960 wrote:I don't have to have an original style bar. I actually like a strat bars angle better, but most floyds turn up more.

I have never found any trem arms to be at the perfect angle for use, the simple answer is to put them in a vice (padding the jaws a little so as not to mark the arm) and bend them to the required angles. I have to do this with every trem arm I fit.

Martin.
umpdv5000
umpdv5000

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by nasticanasta Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:50 pm

Deanster wrote:I have what I think is a corsair, metallic salmon-pink with black binding, H/S/H coil tap. I really do not want to replace the neck with something that pulls the nut down to intonation perfect after I have replaced the BD with a Floyd II. I know the older Floyds are supposed to take care of the problem, or so they say. Will I correct the problem by putting the peg holes 3/8" forward (wince.. I love this guitar) forward?
I had this done with my Pantera.. I choose to not scar up the body by having the neck pocket routed and if you're going that route.. put in a Kahler they are so much more smoother and don't force the strings downward when pulling back and make the strings hit the fingerboard...you can get low action with those sure beats having holes left on it. plus the higher models of these guitars came with the Kahler. Just my thought on it.
nasticanasta
nasticanasta

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2010-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down