The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My photos have disappeared, anyone any clues?

5 posters

Go down

My photos have disappeared, anyone any clues? Empty My photos have disappeared, anyone any clues?

Post by umpdv5000 Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:37 am

Hi all, I popped a few pics on here which have suddenly disappeared. I used the hosting site on here called Servimg.com and when I have gone on to my account I find that all the titles of my hosted photos are still there but the photos ain't. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone have any idea why they might have gone missing?

Martin.
umpdv5000
umpdv5000

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

My photos have disappeared, anyone any clues? Empty Re: My photos have disappeared, anyone any clues?

Post by umpdv5000 Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:07 am

Me again, I suspect that I may have been banned for the use of a Westone Thunder Diagram that I downloaded off the Westone Info site. Ho hum, its not the only hosting site in the world.
umpdv5000
umpdv5000

Back to top Go down

My photos have disappeared, anyone any clues? Empty Re: My photos have disappeared, anyone any clues?

Post by Barry Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:07 pm

scratch Huh?

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8685
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:55 pm

How do you mean, Martin? That picture of a Thunder wasn't off .info was it? I don't recall seeing it there... Anyway, which pix were they? Most of us in here upload to a photo imaging site like Photobucket and then c+p the .img links into posts here becasue the servimg site was a bit flaky when this site was set up...

PM Polly about your pix, mate; she'll know what's going on.
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by umpdv5000 Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:03 pm

When you are writing a reply on here, if you scroll onto the 15th icon above where you are writing, it comes up with "host image". This opens up a window where you can browse for a picture on you hard drive and have it hosted by www.servimg.com (just like photobucket) which is where I have been hosting my photos on here. All has been fine until I posted a pic on the discussion where I was asking about the pre-amp not working on my Thunder, just so as to have reference to the switch I was talking about. I took the picture diagram off Westone Info site and hosted it on the said hosting site. Today I was looking through one or two places where I have posted before and noticed that my photos had gone. When I checked on www.servimg.com I found that they had been removed from there but there was the titles of them still under where they should have been. The only picture that was still around was the diagram on here that I had took off Westone Info. When I looked back on www.servimg.com I found that there was a indication to the rules of hosting and copyrights and that you will be banned and your photos removed if you breach it, and reported to the owners of the copyright breach. So having decided that this is probably what has happened, I came back on here and deleted the offending diagram, which no doubt they had left on for evidence. Some folk really need to get a life.
umpdv5000
umpdv5000

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:20 pm

To be fair, though, he has actually copy written that research which is all down to him - he was doing the Westone thing long before I cottoned onto them - and generally if you ask him he will say OK. It's when people try to ride roughshod over him he gets a bit iffy about it as quite a few muppets on eBay have found out, too!!

In his favour, he runs a Westone Spares from time to time - at some financial risk, I might add!! - and is a fount of info about these guitars; I certainly would not have been here if I hadn't found his website some 4 years ago. That said, he can be a bit of a funny cove...
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:19 pm

Ok, let's clear up some misconceptions.

Spares is not run at any financial risk, it's a cast iron guaranteed money loser. (So far, £7021 over the last three years)

John - I am not a funny cove. Maybe a peninsular, possibly even an isthmus, definitely not a mere cove.

Umpdv - I didn't report it. If you have been reported for copyright violations, someone else did it. That does NOT mean I condone you lifting images off my site without permission.

Originally I tried preventing images being copied off the site. Practically speaking, that's impossible, there are just too many ways to do it. Then I tried just asking people not to do it - vast numbers of people ignored that. The site gets about 5500 visitors per month. There are usually over 20000 attempts at copying images that are successfully blocked, I've no idea how many actually manage to do it.

There are very simple reasons why I don't want the site content copied. It waters down the value of the site as pretty much the only complete (Or as complete as it can be) reference site for info on Westones if some of my material appears on other sites, virtually all the time without any hint as to where it came from. That leads to lots of sites with partial information, and people don't usually look further than the first site they find.

More importantly, it threatens the future development of the site.

Get this - you may think the site is free. It isn't. I have to pay for it. The hosting fees, the domain registration fees, the cost of the content - and that has been substantial over the years. One of the catalogues alone cost me £50, I had to buy a guitar I didn't particularly want to get hold of one of the operation manuals, and sold the guitar on at a loss. All in order to make the site the most complete reference site for Westones - but if people continue to treat the site as if it was theirs, as if they can do whatever they want with the content that I have researched (And frequently had to pay for), that is not going to continue. I am not going to spend money buying catalogues, or magazines for adverts and reviews, just for other people to treat it as if it was theirs to do with as they please. It isn't - it's free to view, it's not free to copy or disseminate in any way at all.

You're right, I do need to get a life - outside the website.

Incidentally - you need a bog standard stereo jack socket for a Thunder active, earth to earth, signal wire to tip, battery wire to the other terminal.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:53 pm

lol!
Go man go!
Oh, and as a fella who runs his own website(s) I hear ya about the cost and protecting the content.
And thank you for the Westie info! It's appreciated.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:37 pm

YAY!! I've often wondered if that was you there, man; nice to "see" you!! OK, cove was a little.... small; isthmus is much better!! My photos have disappeared, anyone any clues? Icon_lol And like Barry says; your site is the one we all have open we we're on here, or trolling the 'bay... kudos!! Looking forward to seeing Spares open again; I have a project.... My photos have disappeared, anyone any clues? Icon_cool
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by umpdv5000 Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:15 pm

Well, I suppose I must consider myself told off.

From a personal man to man point, I would like to apologise for using your diagram in my unwitting manner, I had no idea that it was going to cause you stress. I would genuinely not have done so had I known of the intensity of your plight to protect your collected information.

However, you are obviously aware that placing anything on the open web will be subject to others using that information without thinking, caring or reading the small print before they do so. I can understand you having great enthusiasm to complete something that you have started and I can only salute anyone who is prepared to share any information/findings to the rest of the world. Whilst I am grateful for the small amount of information that I have acquired from my brief visit to your site, I have to say that this is my first encounter with you as a person and you're not coming across as a friendly bunny. In the spirit of friendship among fellow musicians let me offer this advice... If you believe in your site to be the most complete and if you are offering it and service to the world at your expense without asking for any reward, then you should revel in thoughts of the amount of silent respect that you will earn from many, rather than dwell on the frustration and anger that you would vent on the few.

I hope that I will get to know you better.

Regards,

Martin.

PS, I have already sorted the socket, but thanks anyway.
umpdv5000
umpdv5000

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:51 am

Is it just me or is it kind of funny that the Westone site is maintained by a guy who goes by the name Thorn and the Electra site is maintained by a guy who goes by the name Thorny? Sorry to derail the thread, but when I noticed that it put a smile on my face. My photos have disappeared, anyone any clues? Icon_biggrin
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by umpdv5000 Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:28 pm

Well that's one of us smiling at least. My photos have disappeared, anyone any clues? Icon_arrow
umpdv5000
umpdv5000

Back to top Go down

Post by Baluski Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:52 pm

You could always watermark your images to insure a bit of security.

http://cameras.about.com/od/printing/ss/watermark.htm
Baluski
Baluski
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Baluski wrote:You could always watermark your images to insure a bit of security...
He makes a good point! Easy enough to do as well. My photos have disappeared, anyone any clues? Toothless_smile

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by umpdv5000 Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:49 pm

The watermarking doesn't really stop anyone from using your text and doesn't seem to bother anyone using a picture either. Ebay used to get a lot of complaints from sellers of others copying and using their pics, so they started using watermarks as pictures were uploaded on their site. It didn't work. So now they have installed some kind of blocking system where if you try to copy a picture it won't copy. This is quite effective and I have found one or two song lyric sites using the same thing on their text. If stuff being copied from your site pi**es you off so much, you should seek out what program these dudes are using and all will rest in peace.
umpdv5000
umpdv5000

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:07 pm

You can use a little Javascript code to stop the mouse right-click/"save image" function, I use it on my own sites.
But there's no real fail-safe way to stop anyone from grabbing anything off a monitor screen. i.e., If you can see it, you can clip it using any number of screen clipping utilities!

You can still save the entire page from eBay or elsewhere and capture the graphics content that way so it's not bullet proof either. A watermark at least foils anyone from passing the photo/graphic as their own; it's too much work for the average person to get rid of it.

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by umpdv5000 Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:10 pm

Would you believe it... My photos have re-appeared on the hosting site and also on this site. I must have had my ban lifted.
umpdv5000
umpdv5000

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:24 pm

I'll alert the media. clown

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Baluski Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:30 am

Barry wrote:A watermark at least foils anyone from passing the photo/graphic as their own; it's too much work for the average person to get rid of it.

Exactly. =)
Baluski
Baluski
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestions - I couldn't really use a Java right-click disable, it would stop too many legit things working. (Like right clicking to open pages in a new tab, which I do all the time) Watermarks may be the way to go, but that would probably be a mammoth task. The pictures are a wide variety of sizes, and most would need any watermark carefully placed so as not to obscure too much detail or text, so I probably wouldn't be able to do it as a batch job - and there's well over a thousand images.....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:00 pm

Thorn wrote:...I probably wouldn't be able to do it as a batch job - and there's well over a thousand images.....
Doing a batch job is not problem...lots of tools out there to take care of big image numbers in short fashion. Many have options as to what kind of watermark to use too. So don't dismiss it out of hand until you check 'em all out. A simple "Do Not Copy" notice in a corner may be all you need??

Barry
Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down