The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time for a new Amp

2 posters

Go down

Time for a new Amp Empty Time for a new Amp

Post by SunDog Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:06 pm

Last Sunday - I lost a tennis match, had my car window bashed (gps stolen) while I was in a sandwhich shop for my pre-rehearsal meal, and at practice - my amp blew up and my condenser mic died.

Replaced the mic with a Beta 87a. Amp shopping sucks. I am replaceing a Cavin XV112. Looking at Rivera.

Any other suggestions?

I am appalled at all the amps I have tried so far. They all suck - and are over priced - and according to reviews - a crapshoot.

Think I need to go the boutique route for a hand wired, mil-spec component amp - but gosh are they spendy.
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

Time for a new Amp Empty Re: Time for a new Amp

Post by SunDog Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:39 pm

just pulled the trigger on a rivera 60 watt combo. I played a bunch of amps over the past weeks. Everything but the Riveras sounded like dung to me.

According to the seller - this amp was originally owned by Bill Champlain (formerly of Chicago). Picking it up Wed.
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Racing Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:03 am

Know where you´re coming from on this.
In later yrs tho among the myriad of chinese made imports there has been really good tubers to be found at VERY reasonable cost like berries in a pie.
Not that i´d recomend any of them,but the imperative part is that they´re there to be found.

Then again..most brands bread&butter ones ARE chinese these days..no matter what the big dogs claim.

However.
No offense ment vs the chinese,but they have absolutely NO concept WHAT SO EVER about how a valve amp is supposed to sound,and if you run into an amp that sounds good you can rest assured that there´s a westerner behind the design.

Over here(sweden/europe)i´m currently involved in a chinese made 5 and 15W,er.
Have just wrapped up the design of a 30W+ top.
What we originaly had delivered from china was downright unusable,but after som skidding around with the soldering pen...it turned out alright.
Very Marshall-eresk to the tone and behaviour.
Like a cross between an old JMP45 and a super bass approx.

The thing with those amps in general is that they ARE true valve amps and ergo can always be tailored to fit what you need.
The quality issues i at least have experienced so far are the OEM tubes that simply ain´t up to the task from a durability POW.
That aside tho...they´re as good as anything else out there.
Racing
Racing
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 194
Registration date : 2009-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:00 pm

Took delivery on the M60. The variety of good and useful sounds in this amp is quite astounding. These have got to be considered very good values as used rigs. Paid $550 for mine. A new Rivera Fandango goes for around $2K.

Point to point wiring and Mil-Spec components. Hopefully it will last forever. It darned sure is heavy - 73.5 lbs with the foot switches.
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:04 pm

Sounds great with a Genesis I in a live rehearsal setting (4 piece rock band). I cant not find the tone I am looking for for any given song.
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down