The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need two Bendmaster FT string retainers

+3
north-west-one
joss
catonine
7 posters

Go down

Need two Bendmaster FT string retainers Empty Need two Bendmaster FT string retainers

Post by catonine Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:01 am

i am looking for two of the claw string retainers for a bendmaster ft.. i need two of them.. i would consider buying a broken trem unit and removing them myself.. but all i really need is two string retainers.. mine are black but chrome ones would work out ok.. these are the claws that hold the ball end of the string in the trem.. they are mounted on a bar/pin that sits on top of the block.. any help would be appreciated.. thanks !!!
catonine
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-07-06

http://www.myspace.com/rustyknales

Back to top Go down

Need two Bendmaster FT string retainers Empty Re: Need two Bendmaster FT string retainers

Post by joss Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:25 am

Hi,

is that the same type used on a Spectrum Fx/LX guitar. I have the same problem but only one is broken, can't seem to find replacements anywhere, was thinking of selling mine for parts, but seems a shame when it's in good condition and an amazing guitar, but useless because one piece of metal has sheered off.

Joss
joss
joss
Registered Member

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Back to top Go down

Need two Bendmaster FT string retainers Empty Re: Need two Bendmaster FT string retainers

Post by north-west-one Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:03 pm

Joss,
I have the same problem with my LX but was able to loop the string round the remaining metal stub where the string ball end should slot. This has served me well for over a year now and the guitar remains fully playable. Hope this helps.
Fraser.
north-west-one
north-west-one
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post by joss Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:11 pm

Fraser.

wow, thanks. I will try this out, and see if it works.

Joss
joss
joss
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:36 pm

Oooh, nasty, chaps.... and chap-ess; I suppose the only options are to either a) replace the bridge with a modern equivalent, keeping the OEM one for later resale value, or b) just hanging out for a clunker Westone to come up on eBay for parts.

On balance, I reckon that the modern replacement could be a viable option; colt933 has loads of experience with replacing Bendmasters and may have an opinion to offer???? But Joss, don't sell it on, mate - they're a great guitar and if you've got an FX then that's as good as a Spectrum gets! Need two Bendmaster FT string retainers Icon_lol
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by joss Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:00 pm

I've fixed it, I couldn't see how to loop it around, but managed to kind of wedge it to the side of the remainder of the string retaining thing.

i had to take of the thing above it with the spring, then put that back. Will be a nightmare if the string breaks at a gig, but its working for now.
joss
joss
Registered Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:20 pm

joss wrote:I've fixed it, I couldn't see how to loop it around, but managed to kind of wedge it to the side of the remainder of the string retaining thing.
i had to take of the thing above it with the spring, then put that back. Will be a nightmare if the string breaks at a gig, but its working for now.
That's good news Joss. Need two Bendmaster FT string retainers Icon_cheers
And bad news too I guess if it decides to break! But hey, let's stay positive eh?
I'm sure an off the shelf replacement is possible, and if it is, one of the whizzes here will let you know!

Meantime just go easy on the dive bombing! Need two Bendmaster FT string retainers Icon_tongue

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8689
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Stein Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:49 pm

I had the same problem of one broken string retainer with my Spectrum LX. A gunsmith was able to make similar part for me. Only negative thing is that the new part is shiny steel and others are black. I was too lazy to paint mine but I suppose it is possible too.

So my advise is to ask local gunsmith to do the part for you.
Stein
Registered Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-25

http://www.naryanband.com

Back to top Go down

Post by catonine Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:46 pm

i live way out in the boodocks and i a msure that there is no one withing 500 miles who could make one for me if not farther than that.. if your guy can still make them i will buy a few from him.. i have 3 bendmasters and spare parts are always good.. chrome is ok too..
catonine
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-07-06

http://www.myspace.com/rustyknales

Back to top Go down

Post by Stein Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:29 am

I'll ask...
Stein
Registered Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-25

http://www.naryanband.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thawn Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:19 am

Since these claws seem to be an issue on the Bendmaster, does anyone have any ideas for a replacement tremolo for the Bendmaster FT?

Last edited by thawn on Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
thawn

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:45 am

G'day Thawn... oh, dear; not at all ideal!! All I can suggest is that you do the rounds of the music shops in your area and beyond with your busted bit, and see what they have in their spares boxes - that's how I found mine!! I was going to make one until I found one; some good sharp files and a hacksaw wouldn't break the bank, or alternatively get one made but that's gonna cost in a major fashion!

There is no alternative to this for this bridge; the other alternative is going down the replacement bridge route...

The trem arm - or one similar to it - can be sourced from Stewmac or similar, and the coverplate can be made; all of the measurements for a Spectrum trem cover can be found in here somewhere...

Middle p'up is a bit more problematic; are you sure the p'up is at fault; it's not the selector pull pot, or something is it??

Are you gonna show us what you've got?? Very Happy
corsair

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by thawn Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:29 am

I found someone locally that wanted the guitar for parts. The way he talked, he was going to move some parts from another Westone to this one.

Last edited by thawn on Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
thawn

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:23 pm

Hello Thawn. Sorry to hear that you're having some troubles with this 'ole gal. Overall she looks to be in good condition though.
Repairing the trem is a nasty little problem but not impossible to remedy given enough persistence, and everything else is easily fixable.

I notice in your close up picture of the bridge that the bass E string very much on an angle and the string is riding too close to the edge of the fret board as a result. Of course it's off the pickup pole too. It looks like the intonation has not been set correctly and too many saddles are touching end to end instead of 'nesting'. Was this a deliberate effort to shore up the damaged area I wonder?

For comparison see mine here:
LINK 1
LINK 2

MUSIC/PIX/VIDEOS: https://getback.barryeames.com (including Spectrum ST)
Barry
Barry
Hero, Legend, and all round good guy

Number of posts : 8689
Registration date : 2009-05-01

https://legend.barryeames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down