The · W e s t o n e · Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

White Genesis I

+3
corsair
Warrn
SunDog
7 posters

Go down

White Genesis I Empty White Genesis I

Post by SunDog Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Won that one on Ebay today. Probably overpaid at $242.50.

Anyone have one of these?
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

White Genesis I Empty Re: White Genesis I

Post by Warrn Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:23 pm

I wouldn't call that overpaid unless it's in rough shape.
Warrn
Warrn

Number of posts : 1133
Registration date : 2008-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Here is the link. Condition is pretty good. Probably no trem bar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200437801946&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:33 pm

Nope; looks good there, man! Very much like my Gen II; came colour and hardware, the difference being that the Gen II had an extra control pot, and mine has it in a very odd position besides!!
I got mine in a pawn shop in Christchurch , New Zealand about 4 years ago for NZ$200 - mine had the wang bar but not the string lock pieces, so you're a step ahead there as they're impossible to find nowadays! Be aware that underneath the string on the stringlock, there will be some 1mm shims - don't lose 'em!!
Nice score - there's not too many on the forums, eh; I like mine to play onstage, too, so they're definately not just show ponies.... White Genesis I Icon_biggrin
corsair

Number of posts : 6319
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Frenchy Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:43 pm

Great price, great looking guitar, looks in perfect condition... You got yourself a good deal in my mind. White Genesis I Icon_cheers

P.
Frenchy
Frenchy

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:50 pm

Definitely a good deal, especially with the case.
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:54 am

The seller says that he found a trem bar that will work. We shall see. I have seen some bad attmpts at forcing a round peg into a different sized round hole.

Feeling better about the price paid. I had been trolling for an x300 or x390 for a while and the last two decent x300s went for around an avg of $175 US. This is cleaner than either of those (by the pix). I am a little apprehensive about the shape of the neck
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:45 am

Best of luck with it. You beat me. I went to $210 and thought that was alot. I looks pretty.
madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:17 pm

There were three bidders. I got it at $242.50. The second place bidder went to $240. The only other bidder went to $230. Nobody stopped at $210 according to Ebay.

All those bids were submitted 2.5 days before the end of the auction (never understood that). I expected some action near the end - and actually submitted my bid from my blackberry while traveling back from a weekend trip. My high bid was $281. The BB is a pain in the rear to bid with - so I was just going to take the one shot.
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:31 am

Check it again. I went and checked after your post and it show 6 bids including my first for $199.00 and subsequent bid of $210.00. Enjoy the guitar either way.
madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:14 am

Terribly Sorry. I guess I have no clue how to read these bid reports then. It only shows three distinctive bidders. It looked to me like the same person that put in the first $210 bid also bid $240 later. The other person that had a $210 bid later had a $230 bid.

No offense intended.

Interesting note for follow up:

This guitar is coming out of a shop in Saratoga Springs NY. I lived there from 1985 - 1989, and bought my Pantera X750 bass brand new from a local music store (cant remember the name). I am guessing that this may be a hot bed of Westones coming up for sale. I told the seller to be on the look out for more and to let me know when they surface.

It would probably be a worthwhile excersise to document where people purchased their westones as new instruments - and see if a significant number of them remained local. It would be a good idea to use this data for craigslist searches.
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:27 am

No problem, I have a XA1630 Genesis II in pieces right now. The guitar came with a crack in the body from the bottom thru the control cavity. I've stripped it down and plan on securing the crack and refinishing it in a colored stain with clearcoating. You winning this just kept me from putting this project off :>(

Take care and enjoy your Westone. My XA1220, XA1330, XA1440, and X275 will keep me from mourning too badly ;>)
madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:52 am

Have you seen the Genesis body for bid on Ebay? Less than what you bid for this one last I checked.
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by silence86 Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:39 pm

i'd love to have a genesis II in platinum blue burst...
silence86
silence86

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-11-13

http://first-daze.de

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:48 pm

Thanks man, I on it. The price is steep, I've contacted the seller to negotiate. I have everything to make this whole if I can get the body.
madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:33 pm

madmarcus1960 wrote:Thanks man, I on it. The price is steep, I've contacted the seller to negotiate. I have everything to make this whole if I can get the body.

You are most welcome. If I were in your position and the guy refused to negotiate - I would probably just pay him and be done with it. This opportunity will not come along again for a while.

Best of luck. Let us know how it works out.
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:10 am

That body action was ended. Did you get it?
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:22 am

YEEESSS!, I was going to post, but didn't get to it. All is forgiven or beating me to the XA1530 :>). He was a reasonable guy and sold it outside of eBay, so he could give me a better deal. By next Wednesday the beast should be all back together again.

Thanks so much for the heads up. If you ever need any Westone advice or other brands, I'll do what I can. I need to post pictures of all of them. I get to it after I put this one back together.
madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:35 am

Outstanding. If the body is in great shape - are you going to keep it as the original color?
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:36 am

Also - if you dont mind - when you get this thing all together - please share how much $ you put into the project.

Thanks,
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:42 am

The original guitar with the crack in the body was around $125 shipped. Everything else was there, nut lock pieces, trem bar, all the stuff that usually isn't. That's why I bought it, i figured sooner or later I'd learn to refinish bodies(slowly ugh!) or find another usable Westone body. The necks are what make these guitars near and dear to me. The new body was substantially less than advertised. I'd rather not say until I get it in my hands.
After a couple of hours of manpower, it will cost me a little less than your 1530.

Thanks again, would be talking about this without your help.
madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:50 am

I love it when a plan comes together.
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

White Genesis I Empty Delivery Day

Post by SunDog Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:59 pm

This thing is in excellent condition - darn near new. The case is very nice. Have not plugged it up yet or checked the intonation - just noodled on it in my office. The 14"' radius is going to take some getting used to. Most guitars that I like have a 12" radius. It is a very pretty guitar. Hope it sounds good.

The trem arm fits nicely - but has a pretty radical bend in it.

So far I like the Bendmaster DLX better than the FT on my Spectrum SX.

Band rehearsal on Sunday. Will give it a go with the boys and see how it holds up.
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:47 pm

Congrats!! enjoy the hell out of it! Treat it right, because I would have ;>)
My Genesis II body should be here monday. Now to decide what pickups to put in. I like Dimarzios and usually run them to switch between series and parallel.
madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:01 pm

What are you doing with the Magnaflux pick ups? I think one of the single coils on my SX is bad and I would like to replace it with another Magnaflux if possible.
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Took the Gen I to the tech today to get set up. He did a real nice job - and the action is noticably better. Rehearsal tommorrow. Let's see how this thing sounds with a band.
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:19 pm

SunDog wrote:Took the Gen I to the tech today to get set up. He did a real nice job - and the action is noticably better. Rehearsal tommorrow. Let's see how this thing sounds with a band.

Mine sounded real good; looking forward to seeing what you think!!
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:30 pm

corsair wrote:
SunDog wrote:Took the Gen I to the tech today to get set up. He did a real nice job - and the action is noticably better. Rehearsal tommorrow. Let's see how this thing sounds with a band.

Mine sounded real good; looking forward to seeing what you think!!

This guitar sounds awesome. We play a very wide variety of rock songs - and there was a sound in this thing for all of them. I cant rember such a fun day in rehearsal. The Genesis I has moved into favorite axe status (for the time being - probably a honeymoon kind of thing).

I am kind of disappointed that any use of the trem bar causes to have to re-tune afterwards - I dont have a whole lot of experience with locking tremelos - so I dont know if other models are better or not. The bridge is very sensitive - more so than my G&L std trem on my old F-100. Fortunately I don't typically use much trem at all.

Today was a good day.
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrn Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:05 pm

All locking tremolos are made to lock the strings in tune, if you're going out of tune then something is wrong. Are all the locks in place?
Warrn
Warrn

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Lock is engaged on all strings. Maybe the strings are still too new?
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by boutjp97 Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:19 pm

Thats what I was going to say. I never lock the trem until the strings are a few days old because they will keep going flat on you and if it is locked it can strip (not badly, but over the years it adds up) the locking washers. Try unlocking it and every time you pick it up give each string a good couple of tugs to speed up the "seasoning".
boutjp97
boutjp97

Number of posts : 306
Registration date : 2008-05-16

https://www.facebook.com/jason.bouton

Back to top Go down

Post by corsair Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:55 pm

There's a bit of a 'hows-yer-father' someplace on here of the relative merits of the Bendmaster Deluxe but in my experience they are very stable once the strings settle in and you can divebomb away to your hearts content.... well, on mine I could!! White Genesis I Icon_lol Not that I'm saying I dive-bombed a lot; I was more Ritchie Blackmore influenced on wang bar use!! White Genesis I Icon_lol White Genesis I Icon_lol

Very prescient post about not over-tightening the lockbolts; if you strip the thread in the lockbase - and that's real easy because the metal in the base is alloy and the bolts are steel! Design flaw there, nasticanasta!! White Genesis I Icon_biggrin - that's a whole new world of frustration and having to get a Kahler locking setup....
corsair

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:08 pm

SunDog wrote:What are you doing with the Magnaflux pick ups? I think one of the single coils on my SX is bad and I would like to replace it with another Magnaflux if possible.

I have a few hanging around, I'll see what I can do for you. As far as the trem stability goes. Stretch the strings out without locking anything down. Get it all stable, just playing. Then lock everything down and stretch the strings again, being careful not to break the lighter ones. Then unlock retune, relock, and it should stay in tune better.
I always use a spring loaded trem stabilizer, I like the old Kahler ones and get them off "wammiworld.com". They mount in the spring cavity and pre-load the trem block from going sharp. I'll post pics as soon as ther Genesis is done being put back together.
By the way the body came in today. It's a solid B+, some nicks, but very livable, and it doesn't have a crack in it. :>)
Thanks again for the heads up.
madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDog Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Marcus,

Did you notice the red Gen I on ebay for $399? Not quite as nice as my white one - or probably the Gen II that you are building. No case (the case that came with mine is pretty awesome - btw) - no trem bar. Doubt that it will go that high - but it would be nice to see the value of these things creep up some.

I have been playing my Genesis now - almost exclusively since I got it - both just at the house and in rehearsal situations. I still love it to death. I have never had a guitar that hangs around my neck so unobtrusively. On top of that - I am really enjoying the move to a flatter radius neck. This thing is a pure joy to play - and I am convinced that it is making me a better player. When this present band starts gigging regularly this spring, I plan on using the Genesis for all primary duties. I will probably set up my Spectrum SX to handle the songs with altered tunings. Back ups will be my old Electra X930 and my G&L F-100 III (both 1981 vintage).

How is your project coming along? - can't help but feel involved.
SunDog
SunDog
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by madmarcus1960 Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:04 pm

All together and original as far as the pickups for now. I have 3 Westones with the mid-shape knob and this one works the best.

I'll post some pics of the family soon.

Glad you like yours and yes you will always be thought of fondly for finding my replacement body :>) !!
madmarcus1960
Westone Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down